Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 2.4: Traditional licensing with two administration nodes

Nadav
Level 7
Level 7

Hi everyone,

I'd like to confirm something from the documentation. This is regarding adding new traditional licenses to a deployment that has a primary PAN and a secondary PAN.

ISE 2.4 Administration Guide - Cisco ISE Licenses

In the above link, it reads:

"If you have two Administration nodes deployed in a high-availability pair, you must ensure that each of them have the same license capabilities. Generate licenses with both UDIs and then add the licenses while each node is in a standalone or primary state."

Does this mean I need to upload the license file to the active primary PAN, failover to the secondary PAN, and then upload the same license file to the active secondary PAN? 

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This documentation issue was raised over a year ago and there was talk of getting it sorted. In fact I remember building my 2.2 nodes in such a way because I followed the docs. 

It was true in the old days of ISE but as of 2.something they made it easier (but didn’t update the doco)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

No, once you upload it to primary PAN, it should be good to go. But when
you generate the license file from PAK code, you need to enter both primary
and secondary PANs UDIs

Alright, thanks Mohammed.

The wording in the documentation was confusing, hopefully that part of the documentation will be less ambiguous in the future. 

This documentation issue was raised over a year ago and there was talk of getting it sorted. In fact I remember building my 2.2 nodes in such a way because I followed the docs. 

It was true in the old days of ISE but as of 2.something they made it easier (but didn’t update the doco)

Arne can you let us know where we can correct this?

JALALUDDEEN A A
Level 1
Level 1
Licenses are uploaded to the Primary Policy Administration Node and propagated to the other Cisco ISE nodes in the cluster. Licenses are centrally managed by the Administration node, the other nodes do not require separate licenses. If you have two Administration nodes deployed in a high-availability pair, you must ensure that each of them have the same license capabilities. Generate the license with both the UDIs of the Primary and the Secondary Policy Administration Nodes and then add the license to the Primary Policy Administration Node. After you install the Cisco ISE software and initially configure the appliance as the PAN, you must obtain a license for Cisco ISE and then register that license. You register all licenses to the PAN via the Primary and Secondary Administration Node hardware UDI. The PAN then centrally manages all the licenses that are registered for your deployment.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: