Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE application server not running

Tzy Chun Chong
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

My ISE appliance application server not running, even reboot still the same, any reason?

ISE-3315-K9       

Displaying ISE application status .... 
ISE Database listener is running, PID: 6270
ISE Database is running, number of processes: 17
ISE Application Server process is not running.
ISE Profiler DB is not running
ISE M&T Session Database is not running.
ISE M&T Log Collector is not running.
ISE M&T Log Processor is not running.

I saw suspicious from logs, anyone experience this before? I coudn't find this ise ErrorCode: -999 from the Cisco KE database.

2015-01-19T15:45:47.371651+11:00 ISE1 ADE-SERVICE[2742]: [9862]:[error] application:operation ci_util.c[597] [marcellus]: Problem executing init script (/opt/CSCOcpm/bin/cpmcontrol.sh) err = 1
2015-01-19T15:45:47.371671+11:00 ISE1 ADE-SERVICE[2742]: [9862]:[error] application:operation cars_install.c[1931] [marcellus]: App (ise) has trouble executing <init> tag
2015-01-19T15:45:47.377124+11:00 ISE1 ADEOSShell[9862]: ADEAUDIT 3015, type=APP INIT, name=Error during application init, username=marcellus, cause=(null), adminipaddress=10.0.10.7, interface=CLI, detai
l=Application (ise) has trouble executing <init> tag
2015-01-19T15:45:47.377333+11:00 ISE1 ADE-SERVICE[2742]: [9862]:[error] application:operation install_cli.c[419] [marcellus]: Error while starting application  - Application: ise ErrorCode: -999

13 Replies 13

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hmm, what version of ISE are you running?

Hi Neno,

Thanks for replying, this is it.

Displaying ISE version ...

Cisco Identity Services Engine

---------------------------------------------

Version : 1.2.0.899

Build Date : Wed 24 Jul 2013 17:37:31 EST

Install Date : Wed 01 Oct 2014 12:33:32 EST

Have you tried to manually stop all services and start them up again:

application stop ise

and

application start ise

If this doesn't work you will probably have to re-image/re-install.

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

Hi Neno, already tried manual kick start of application service but failes with simple 1 line of error output like below.

%application failed to start

I'm thinking this is system error, more like a system file corrupted... but I need more input to confirm before go to the system re-image/re-install steps.

If you don't have any ISE configs on the box you can also try resetting the config with:

application reset-config ise

Let me know how it goes and what the final solution is

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

This is my primary box and yes there is config in. That's why if possible i do not want to go to the re-image and restore step. I already raise TAC for this case. I will update if there is any finding and resolution from TAC.

If its live environment better to go with TAC, to resolve issues.

How are you running 1.2 when 1.4 patch 10 is by far more stable?. BTW, do not move to any 2.x yet, just an advice.

Regarding your issue, I was working on a similar situation with TAC Engineer and he explicitly told me that if REBOOT does not work then probably your DB is corrupted and the only option was restored the whole box (if you have a backup, reimaging the box is quite simple). If I am not wrong, you already have a TAC Case opened, check with them.

nspasov!! I am amazed that you even give

application reset-config ise

as a solution, what value is your reply? Do you distruct ISE so much that the only way out of an application not starting is to re-image the box?

I am apalled at the random lack of deep thinking in the replies.
Prakash

This works.

Simply starting up the service by entering the command

application start ise

To anyone stumbling across this, if your app start fails make sure you can ping your gateway.  If you can't then shut/no shut in g0 (or all your ISE network interfaces via cli) and then perform another app start ise.  ISE will not start if the network is unreachable.

I have tried to manually kick one of my nodes and it will not start.  I have another one that is not able to ping the gateway, but the service is running.  I am trying to just get the service to run on my ISE node and it just will not.  Saying that a service will not start without being able to ping the gateway is not a factual statement. 

amir.marashi
Level 1
Level 1

I have had the similar issue and this is what I did to fix it, If your ISE node is a VM try this and it should work:

1. Download the Ubuntu desktop ISO

2. Map the ISO to the VM CD-ROM

3. Choose to boot to BIOS

4. Power on the VM

5. Once in the BIOS, under BOOT select CD-ROM first

6. Press escape

7. Choose Exit with save

8. Once Ubuntu boot up, click try Ubuntu

9. Open the terminal and run the following commands:

ls -l /dev/sd*

sudo fsck /dev/sda

sudo fsck /dev/sda1

sudo fsck /dev/sda2

sudo fsck /dev/sda3

sudo fsck /dev/sda4

sudo fsck /dev/sda5

sudo fsck /dev/sda6

sudo fsck /dev/sda7

10. Once done, type halt

11. Disconnect the VM-CDROM

12. Power on the VM

13. Login to your ISE node and type sh application status ise

At this point you should be able to see the application is initilizing after a few minutes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: