cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE as a Quota Policy Control Rules Engine

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

If I had a Dollar each time a customer asked me "can ISE enforce traffic quotas on my Guest portal?"

I normally tell them to go buy ClearPass instead ... lol.  Just kidding.  But seriously, in the enterprise environment I think that option is not too far from the truth.

It's sad that ISE doesn't do much with Radius Accounting.  I would argue that the next killer application in ISE should be quota processing for the Guest use case.  I know we don't discuss road map on these forums, so I don't expect an answer.   

However, what are the practical next steps for a customer who has invested heavily in ISE and Cisco WLC, when confronted with this requirement?  What does one tell them to do?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nidhi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Arne,

This is not supported

But the best thing to do is to reach out to ISE Product Management team via your sales channel to raise a feature request. 

Thanks,

Nidhi

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Nidhi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Arne,

This is not supported

But the best thing to do is to reach out to ISE Product Management team via your sales channel to raise a feature request. 

Thanks,

Nidhi

Is this a common request in other parts of the world?  Perhaps one day there will be ubiquitous uncapped internet plans, but the reality is that a lot of service providers are incapable or unwilling to change. 

Feature request may never happen and I don't see anyone jumping on the bandwagon.  What are the realistic steps one could take to implement such a scheme?  I am thinking of some third party product that someone may have perhaps used in the past?  

There are a lot of custom/bespoke systems that run on open source wireless router platforms but it's small scale.  The only enterprise solution I have seen so far is Aruba Clearpass - I have not used this feature in Clearpass myself but I will evaluating it soon.  It can do everything ISE can do and in this SMB space it fulfils that specific need.

ISE can sent WLC attributes to control guest bandwidth per user.  That doesn't set a hard quota, but does limit their bandwidth consumption.  Will that not suffice?

Hi @paul - this is probably the best we can do in lieu of a quota management system.  If you throttle the bandwidth of a session then you can make it unpleasant enough for anyone wanting to potentially use it for anything other than reading their emails. 

The wireless guys will argue that (in a high density environment mostly), if someone wants to download a 20MB file for example, it's better to let them download it as quickly as possible to free up the airwaves.  But in less dense environments it's probably a moot point.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: