cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE backup page unresponsive

gwhitley
Level 1
Level 1

I have this issue on a deployment on 2.3p7 and now on 3.0p1. Trying to start an on demand backup results in the page crashing or becoming extremely slow/unresponsive. The 2.3 deployment has been in production for years, and the 3.0 deployment is pre-production. This happens on all browsers. At least with the 2.3 deployment, I can usually continue to select "wait" and it will kick off after 5-30 minutes. The 3.0 deployment doesn't seem to ever get there.

Surprisingly, the other 2.3 deployments I have don't seem to suffer from this issue. I can not find a difference in the backup and repo configurations between the deployments.

Does anyone else have this issue, and have you found a workaround? I haven't seen much in my searches to indicate that this is known behavior.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gwhitley
Level 1
Level 1

So, the fix for this was that while my new systems had read/write access to the backup volume on the NFS share, it did not have read/write to the share's root, and therefore nothing below that.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

To be completely honest, I am not sure if there is a related bug in 3.0p1.  I do know that ISE 3.0p2 hit the streets yesterday 2/22/21.  May not be a bad idea to upgrade the 3.0 cluster since it is non-prod to see if that alleviates the issue.  If you do not feel like upgrading to test, I would suggest working with TAC, and also trying to tail the following logs during a backup attempt on patch1:

show logging system ade/ADE.log

HTH!

Thanks Mike. I'll see what the ADE log says (if anything). I'm reasonably certain this is an issue with the actual GUI webpage more than the backup process as the new deployment shows no backup status or history. Glad to have the suggestion though. I'll try TAC as a last resort as our environment is difficult for them to work with.

Hi @gwhitley 

beyond what @Mike.Cifelli said ... you can use the following:

ise/admin# show backup status
ise/admin# debug backup-restore all

Hope this helps !!!

There's no backup status, and no history. It never even gets started. The page seems to lock up as I'm inputting the encryption key. 

This is the message that seems like it might indicate the culprit though:

ADE-SERVICE[8825]: [2902]:[error] config:repository: rm_repos_cfg.c[521] [system]: protocol not found in url

Which I find odd, since the running config matches the one in one of my working production systems (same NFS share as my prod system).

Hi @gwhitley 

are you able to backup via the CLI?

ise/admin# backup <name> repository <name> ise-config encryption-key plain <key>

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Which I find odd, since the running config matches the one in one of my working production systems (same NFS share as my prod system).

-I would recommend removing the repo & re-adding it.  Then ensure that you can test against it successfully.  If it still does not work get with TAC as it could be a 3.0 bug.

gwhitley
Level 1
Level 1

So, the fix for this was that while my new systems had read/write access to the backup volume on the NFS share, it did not have read/write to the share's root, and therefore nothing below that.