cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE base license exceeded alert

e-bradley
Level 1
Level 1

ISE is on 2.1 and base licenses are incrementing daily, currently at 28k when 10k base license is installed.  Actual ative connections is around 8k.  This must be a bug. CSCul30358 seems likely but listed only for 1.2.  It is a very poor bug as listed as resolved but with no fixed code.  Does anyone every any further info or a better bug?

2 Replies 2

e-bradley
Level 1
Level 1

ISE license over time.PNG

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hi

Might be a bug.  But are you using Radius accounting to actively manage your sessions?  If you don't then ISE cannot decrement the license counts quickly enough.  Someone from Cisco mentioned somewhere that if ISE doens't get an Accounting Stop, then it will eventually release that license after 2 days or something like that. I wish I could find that in the user guide.

In theory, an increment in license usage should correlate to a successful authentication where you can see 'Base License consumed' message.  And then it takes a while to reflect in the graph (it's not immediate).  If the session then terminates on the NAS, an accounting stop should be sent to ISE.  That will then decrement the license count by one.  If you lost that accounting stop, then ISE will decrement the license count after some period of time (I think it's 2 days).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: