Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE Certificate Authority Certificate

descalante2007
Level 1
Level 1

I'm confussed about the certificates:

Some weeks ago a certificate was installed in the ISE to avoid the browser certificate error when the customer access the sponsor portal ...

Now, the customer is requesting to authenticate the sponsor users through LDAPS ... I understand Active Directory or LDAP as External Identity Sources are not secure. So, in order to enable LDAPS we must check the Secure Atuthentication box in the LDAP configuration, but a ROOT CA must be chooseen also.

I understand the ISE should validate the customer PKI in order to validate the user certificate ... Am I right?

Do I need request the customer to provide me the "Certificate Authority Certificate" from its PKI ??

Is it a file completely different to the certificate already loaded in the ISE ??

With this certificate, would the ISE validate the user's computer certificate additional to user and password ??

Would the user must use a computer with certificate in order to access the sponsor portal ??

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Daniel Escalante.

3 Replies 3

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Daniel,

LDAPS is a connection using SSL over a special port, much like your session to your bank (for example) over HTTPS.

Your browser and/or operating system has already a set of trusted root certificates it can trust.

ISE however does not "know" the certificate authority signing the certificate the LDAP server will present duing SSL exchange. A way for ISE to be able to validate it and know it is to import signing certificate and reference it in the configuration - thus trusting it certifiicate presented in LDAP over SSL exchange.

This "root" certificate is only used in this exchange.

Does that make sense?

M.

Thank you for your reply, but I'm still confused.

I think to access the SPONSOR Portal, the client's browser uses https to talk with the ISE.  But the ISE use LDAP (UNSECURE) to consult to AD or LDAP External Identity Source ... Am I right?

If yes, my question is how can I secure this communication?

The certificate already installed in the ISE is used only to allow the client (user) to authenticate the ISE itself, but the ISE should authenticate the AD/LDAP server and/or viceversa ... or the communication between ISE and AD/LDAP should be encrypted ...

Using your words , does my reasoning make sense?

Regards.

Saurav Lodh
Level 7
Level 7

Please follow the "secure authentication tab" in the below table( highlighted)

go to >LDAP Connection Settings

Table lists the fields in the LDAP connection tab and their descriptions.

Table :     LDAP Connection Tab 

Option
Description

Enable Secondary Server

Check this option to enable the secondary LDAP server to be used as a  backup in the event that the primary LDAP server fails. If you check  this check box, you must enter configuration parameters for the  secondary LDAP server.

Primary and Secondary Servers

Hostname/IP

(Required) Enter the IP address or DNS name of the machine that is  running the LDAP software. The hostname can contain from 1 to 256  characters or a valid IP address expressed as a string. The only valid  characters for hostnames are alphanumeric characters (a to z, A to Z, 0  to 9), the dot (.), and the hyphen (-).

Port

(Required) Enter the TCP/IP port number on which the LDAP server is  listening. Valid values are from 1 to 65,535. The default is 389, as  stated in the LDAP specification. If you do not know the port number,  you can find this information from the LDAP server administrator.

Access

(Required) Anonymous Access—Click to ensure that searches on the LDAP  directory occur anonymously. The server does not distinguish who the  client is and will allow the client read access to any data that is  configured as accessible to any unauthenticated client. In the absence  of a specific policy permitting authentication information to be sent to  a server, a client should use an anonymous connection.

Authenticated Access—Click to ensure that searches on the LDAP directory  occur with administrative credentials. If so, enter information for the  Admin DN and Password fields.

Admin DN

Enter the DN of the administrator. The Admin DN is the LDAP account that  permits searching of all required users under the User Directory  Subtree and permits searching groups. If the administrator specified  does not have permission to see the group name attribute in searches,  group mapping fails for users who are authenticated by that LDAP.

Password

Enter the LDAP administrator account password.

Secure Authentication

Click to use SSL to encrypt communication between Cisco ISE and the  primary LDAP server. Verify that the Port field contains the port number  used for SSL on the LDAP server. If you enable this option, you must  choose a root CA.

Root CA

Choose a trusted root certificate authority from the drop-down list box  to enable secure authentication with a certificate.

See the "Certificate Authority  Certificates" section on page 12-17 and "Adding a Certificate  Authority Certificate" section on page 12-19 for information  on CA certificates.

Server Timeout

Enter the number of seconds that Cisco ISE waits for a response from the  primary LDAP server before determining that the connection or  authentication with that server has failed. Valid values are 1 to 300.  The default is 10.

Max. Admin Connections

Enter the maximum number of concurrent connections (greater than 0) with  LDAP administrator account permissions that can run for a specific LDAP  configuration. These connections are used to search the directory for  users and groups under the User Directory Subtree and the Group  Directory Subtree. Valid values are 1 to 99. The default is 20.

Test Bind to Server

Click to test and ensure that the LDAP server details and credentials  can successfully bind. If the test fails, edit your LDAP server details  and retest.