Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE CWA Flow Validation

tolarosa@cisco.com
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Team,

I'm working on an ISE POC with a customer and we ran into an issue with ISE CWA on switches without SVI's in the Data/Access VLAN's. The customer is using an ASA as their default GW for all vlans so every vlan needs to go through policy for communication.  I have put together the attached flow based on information I have read but would like to verify this is correct and I'm not missing anything. Due to the asymmetry of how URL Redirection works, I can see how this will cause a problem with Firewalls.  I have also added some alternative designs in the image.  Is there any Best Practice Designs with this type of scenario?  Also, Is this flow accurate?

ISE CWA Flow_Access Switch WO SVI.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Craig Hyps
Level 10
Level 10

Summation is correct and yes, we have seen customer's hit issue when default GW is a firewall due to reasons noted.

I have also posted a number of flows here ISE Auth-Feature Flows_v1.pdf and similar scenario is highlighted in an "oldie but goody" guide here IBNS: Web Authentication Deployment and Configuration Guide - Cisco in section titled "TCP Traffic Flow for Login Page When No Layer 3 SVI for Host VLAN Exists on Access Switch".   This older guide is talking about local web auth, but the redirection concepts are the same.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Craig Hyps
Level 10
Level 10

Summation is correct and yes, we have seen customer's hit issue when default GW is a firewall due to reasons noted.

I have also posted a number of flows here ISE Auth-Feature Flows_v1.pdf and similar scenario is highlighted in an "oldie but goody" guide here IBNS: Web Authentication Deployment and Configuration Guide - Cisco in section titled "TCP Traffic Flow for Login Page When No Layer 3 SVI for Host VLAN Exists on Access Switch".   This older guide is talking about local web auth, but the redirection concepts are the same.