Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE guest sponsor portal, restrict email address domain for the guest

dongill
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, very helpful post!

Is it possible to do this email validation for “Known Guest” account creation in the sponsor portal (and can it be applied to the form and bulk upload?)

we have a need to prevent sponsors creating guest accounts with their corporate email addresses (sometimes, despite guidance the users can’t be trusted ;-) )

...any help/guidance is appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Replied inline

Our users are creating sponsored guest accounts for themselves and others with their corporate email address, despite information and notices. I'd like to validate the input to prevent the form submission unless they enter a non-corporate email address; much like the self resgitration guest portal.

JAK > it doesn’t sound like they are creating any account for guests? Why not just restrict them from using the sponsor portal altogether? You can enable them to use the guest portal themselves using their AD credentials and have them access the internet just like a guest.

It's relevant because we're also planning on utilising the guest portal this applies to for corporate BYOD onboarding, whereby employees can log into the guest portal with their corpoprate email [AD creds or similar] and then be provisioned and onboarded to an employee BYOD network.

JAK > this has nothing to do with the BYOD flow. The sponsor portal is not utilized for this.

I've had a dig around the sponsor portal page elements after watching your videos and reading through the various guides, but as a complete portal / javascript novice I'm looking for some pointers on how it can be acheived.

JAK > will investigate if still needed.

CSV upload is not too much of a problem for our situation as the sponsor groups that have this ablity are lets say, more trusted to do it properly!

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

So basically you want to restrict your sponsors from mistakenly entering their own email address as the guest users?

It might be possible for the page but not sure if that can be done with the import of a CSV.

yes, thats right Jason. Thanks for the quick reply!

Our users are creating sponsored guest accounts for themselves and others with their corporate email address, despite information and notices. I'd like to validate the input to prevent the form submission unless they enter a non-corporate email address; much like the self resgitration guest portal.

It's relevant because we're also planning on utilising the guest portal this applies to for corporate BYOD onboarding, whereby employees can log into the guest portal with their corpoprate email [AD creds or similar] and then be provisioned and onboarded to an employee BYOD network.

I've had a dig around the sponsor portal page elements after watching your videos and reading through the various guides, but as a complete portal / javascript novice I'm looking for some pointers on how it can be acheived.

CSV upload is not too much of a problem for our situation as the sponsor groups that have this ablity are lets say, more trusted to do it properly!

thanks

Replied inline

JAK > it doesn’t sound like they are creating any account for guests? Why not just restrict them from using the sponsor portal altogether? You can enable them to use the guest portal themselves using their AD credentials and have them access the internet just like a guest.

JAK > this has nothing to do with the BYOD flow. The sponsor portal is not utilized for this.

JAK > will investigate if still needed.

I thought you may come back with those points...

DG >> the business has a scenario where 3rd party contractors are given corporate email addresses for use with applications, and it is this that is causing confusion. The same contractors use a guest network for their own devices to access the internert, but not our internal systems.  

Their sponsors are business users [non IT], and it seems there is no amount of sponsor user guidance /notices that will stop them from making this email mistake. The sponsors still need the ability to create guest accounts for their visitors, and also the said contractors but not use the guest portal themselves.

DG >> Indeed - the reason it is relevant is due to the Identity Store used for user auth on the portal log in page. Our plan was to use the same Guest portal for both Guest and Corp BYOD onboarding - the coporate user would connect to the Guest SSID, redirect to portal, log in with their corporate email address and then go through provisioning flow [as per some of the Cisco byod guides].

AK > will investigate if still needed.

DG >> if you could, that would be most helpful! [I've managed to make some nice tweaks already, such as the removal of the unused buttons etc :-) but this one is proving a little more challenging].

thanks

I will look at seeing if we can get a script

DG >> Indeed - the reason it is relevant is due to the Identity Store used for user auth on the portal log in page. Our plan was to use the same Guest portal for both Guest and Corp BYOD onboarding - the coporate user would connect to the Guest SSID, redirect to portal, log in with their corporate email address and then go through provisioning flow [as per some of the Cisco byod guides].

JAK > again nothing to do with guest accounts or sponsor portal. BYOD dual SSID uses the users internal AD account

Great, thanks a lot - hopefully it's possible and not too tricky.

Re AD account - sorry I probably wasnt clear. For dual SSID, I was under the impression that if the users AD UPN was the same as their email address, and one existed in AD and their was also an ISE Internal guest account with the same name [email address], when logging into the guest portal for the first time this would cause a conflict [both AD and Internal Users in the ID Store sequence]? Hence the need to prevenet the creation of ISE internal guest accounts with corporate email address. Or am I tottally off the mark here?

thanks

OK I understand could be a problem I’ve never tried it. User should just login with their username

If you going to use the my devices portal then you’ll probably want to go test it out as well

Hi Jason - did you manage to look into getting a script?

hoping to have an update shortly sorry for the wait

No problem at all! thanks for the update / appreciate the help!