Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE is not accepting newly added swtiches

marek.hudak
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

is there anything else what I can check when I getting error: 13011 Invalid TACACS+ request packet than key? (I tried to changed few times)

It look like there is some misconfiguration. 

ISE:

Version 2.4.0.357
Installed Patches 9,10
Product Identifier (PID) SNS-3595-K9
Version Identifier (VID) A0
Serial Number (SN) FCH2209V02N
ADE-OS Version 3.0.4.070
Pic.PNG
Switch.PNG

Switch:
tacacs-server host 10.52.60.50 key 7 "XXX" timeout 4
tacacs-server host 10.52.188.50 key 7 "XXX" timeout 4
aaa group server tacacs+ DN_AUTH
    server 10.52.60.50
    server 10.52.188.50
    deadtime 5
    source-interface Vlan2
Thank you very much.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That is correct!  Any device, Cisco or third-party, that adheres to the TACACS+ protocol standards will work with ISE.  The compatibility matrix for ISE addresses the non-TACACS+ features of ISE, such as 802.1x, URL Redirect, TrustSec, etc.

Double check your configuration on the switch.  Specifically, check the shared secret that you have setup on the switch and in ISE for that device.  I would recommend entering it again manually and do not copy/paste.  Sometimes you can have an extra space when copying/pasting or it may look like it pasted fine but you actually pasted something different that was copied previously.  Manually type it in on ISE and then use the show secret button to show what is actually there.  Then manually type it into the Nexus.

I have integrated many Nexus switches with ISE for TACACS+ and it works just fine.  The error you reference points to a mismatched shared secret.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Good thing to 'initially verify' is your switch-model + software version compared to ise version compatibility :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/security/identity-services-engine/products-device-support-tables-list.html

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Dear Concern,

Can you try changing shared key. I think shared key mismatch hepping there. 

Thaks,

Zunaid

whatsapp: +8801962400050

Hello guys,

I checked page for ISE 2.4: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-4/compatibility/b_ise_sdt_24.html

but I do not see there Nexus 9000. I checked higher version, but still the same result.

Do you know why is that please?

Switch:

Software
  BIOS: version 07.56
  NXOS: version 7.0(3)I5(1)
  BIOS compile time:  06/08/2016
  NXOS image file is: bootflash:///nxos.7.0.3.I5.1.bin
  NXOS compile time:  10/29/2016 6:00:00 [10/29/2016 13:46:41]

Hardware
  cisco Nexus9000 93180YC-EX chassis
  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU  @ 1.80GHz with 24633936 kB of memory.
  Processor Board ID FDO210314NL

Device name: sgham-9050-dsw001
  bootflash:   53298520 kB
Kernel uptime is 990 day(s), 22 hour(s), 14 minute(s), 19 second(s)

Ref : no ISE support for nexus 9000

>Do you know why is that please?

I think it's primarily because ISE focuses on access layer switches , not on data-center switches.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thank you for explanation. Tacacs can be used, but not with ISE? This is current configuration which is working on Tacacs. Only servers 151 and 153 are in use.

ip domain-name XXX
tacacs-server host 172.24.191.151 key 7 "XXX" timeout 10
tacacs-server host 172.24.191.153 key 7 "XXX" timeout 10
tacacs-server host 172.24.191.131
tacacs-server host 10.52.60.50 key 7 "XXX" timeout 10
aaa group server tacacs+ DN_AUTH
    server 172.24.191.151
    server 172.24.191.153
    deadtime 5
    use-vrf ham
    source-interface Vlan1504

Hi - have you seen the thread below regarding nexus 9k tacacs with ISE?

hth

Andy

https://community.cisco.com/t5/identity-services-engine-ise/ise-inegration-with-nexus-9000/td-p/3724908

Hi,

thank you for additional info. I will check it.

When you look at the compatibility matrix, you have to keep in mind that it is referring to the other services beyond TACACS+, such as 802.1x, Posture, SGT, etc.  TACACS+ with ISE should be supported by all Cisco devices that support TACACS+.

Hi,

I am not sure if I understand it correctly. Does it mean that Nexus line should be kompatibilite? As you know, I tried and it is not working. I am not able to authenticated on the switch.

Thank you 

= If we are using about TACACS-only for ISE-involvment , that should work as mentioned by other user. As far as the original error-code is concerned double check the shared secret and try for instance with a simple phrase to make sure that no obvious authentication error is the cause. If problem persists one may try another brand of TACACS server then ISE to check for compatibility. But that requires more elaborate testing and setups (indeed).

M.

That is correct!  Any device, Cisco or third-party, that adheres to the TACACS+ protocol standards will work with ISE.  The compatibility matrix for ISE addresses the non-TACACS+ features of ISE, such as 802.1x, URL Redirect, TrustSec, etc.

Double check your configuration on the switch.  Specifically, check the shared secret that you have setup on the switch and in ISE for that device.  I would recommend entering it again manually and do not copy/paste.  Sometimes you can have an extra space when copying/pasting or it may look like it pasted fine but you actually pasted something different that was copied previously.  Manually type it in on ISE and then use the show secret button to show what is actually there.  Then manually type it into the Nexus.

I have integrated many Nexus switches with ISE for TACACS+ and it works just fine.  The error you reference points to a mismatched shared secret.

Hello all,

I found out, that I made stupid mistake with the shared key. I did not realized, that if I wrote command:

tacacs-server host 10.52.188.50 key 7 "XXX" timeout 4

I just can not simply copy the text in " " because it is already hashed. So, then I wrote it as key 0, and I used exactly what I wrote in ISE conf.. Then then Nexus changed to key 7 (hashed key) automatically and I realized, that is still mix of characters, but it is little different, so it was hashed. 

>>> Now is working.

I am really sorry that I bothered you with this question. I did not realized, that could be a issue, because I got this case after one experienced colleague who did not see it as a problem.

Thank you again. 

Colby LeMaire
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is authentication not working?  Or are you only seeing this in the reports?  There is a recent bug filed for TACACS+ accounting packet issues:

https://quickview.cloudapps.cisco.com/quickview/bug/CSCvq23549

Only other thing I can think of is to double check your shared secrets.