Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE License Transfer

tolarosa@cisco.com
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi All,

I have a customer that will be wiping out their existing ISE VM's and would like to rebuild/implement their ISE VM environment with new ISE VM OVA's.  How do we transfer their exiting licenses over to the new ISE VM's?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
5 Replies 5

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

One other alternative is to use Smart Licensing.  When you do that then you never have to worry about this re-homing stuff ever again.  Very useful when you plan to rebuild your deployment as opposed to upgrading it.

In fairness, with Smart Licensing you would need to re-register the ISE deployment to Smart portal, but that's a lot easier than re-homing licences and downloading files.

Just a thought.

100% agree with Smart Licensing.  Any time I am rebuilding a customer's ISE deployment (which is every upgrade) I tell them to work with licensing@cisco.com to convert their traditional licenses to Smart Licenses and we register their new deployment to their Smart account.

If i have a evaluation license (90days) and after this expire i have more 40 days (if my license exceed the limit and consider that im out of compliance). So, after that i enable the smartlicense, the ise renew more 90 days and show a new date to out of compliance right? 
So the question is... After my Ise took place to out of compliance, and this stage i didnt configure the proxy to internet, so I lost the Admin GUI access... 
There´s a way to configure a proxy via cli to enable smart license to gain more days until ise place again out of compliance?

No way to configure proxy via cli. I think you need to get hold of TAC for some back door access. Unless you have a config Backup? Rebuild the node and restore config backup. That resets the veal to 90 days again.