cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE Smart license behavior

Zhicheng Lun
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A customer is planning to migrate their ISE from classic license to Smart license. However, he has below concern:
1. Customer wants to know once he migrate ISE to smart license, can he request evaluation license for testing, eg, to request Plus, Apex or TACACS+ license?
2. If a license is Out-of-compliance for a while, and user order and apply new license to it, will the life time of the new license be consumed to backfill OOC gap?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

My personal experience with question 1 is yes - we had an issue where the Licensing TAC created us some temp base/tacacs/vm licenses (quantities are much larger than the usual 100 eval license) - of course these licenses had an expiration on them.  But they appeared in the Smart Licensing Portal and we were consuming them.

On the second question:  why would you want to backfill the OOC gap? Or if I understand the question correctly, I don't think ISE will retroactvely "consume" additional term (duration) of the license while it was OOC.  It's not that clever ;-)  Term based licenses have a start date that is set at the time of purchase.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

My personal experience with question 1 is yes - we had an issue where the Licensing TAC created us some temp base/tacacs/vm licenses (quantities are much larger than the usual 100 eval license) - of course these licenses had an expiration on them.  But they appeared in the Smart Licensing Portal and we were consuming them.

On the second question:  why would you want to backfill the OOC gap? Or if I understand the question correctly, I don't think ISE will retroactvely "consume" additional term (duration) of the license while it was OOC.  It's not that clever ;-)  Term based licenses have a start date that is set at the time of purchase.

For #1, usually if you just work with licensing@cisco.com they can convert your traditional licenses to Smart Licenses.  You can verify they are correctly showing up in your Smart Dashboard before enabling Smart Licensing.

Thanks, will try to contact licensing@cisco.com to request eval licenses.