Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE Upgrade Estimated Time

fatalXerror
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Guys,

I have 2 Admin/MnT nodes and 2 PSNs in a virtual environment, and i plan to upgrade it from 1.4 to 2.2 to 2.4.

I would like to know the estimated time of upgrade to be finish per major version. I saw in release notes and guides to use URT bundle however, I cannot see any URT bundle for upgrade from 1.4 to 2.2.

Is there such URT bundle for version 1.4. to 2.2?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
The time is estimates are covered within the 2.2 upgrade guide.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-2/upgrade_guide/b_ise_upgrade_guide_22/b_ise_upgrade_guide_22_chapter_00.html

I might suggest an alternate approach to this due to the lack of URT availability.
Stand up a new 2.2 node and then restore the 1.4 backup. You can trial the upgrade through this alternate method and do solution testing without impacting production. If all is well you can either migrate this node to production, or do a similar process to replace the production.

You could also take the 2.2 backup from the above option and restore it to a 2.4 node. Then effectively jumping production from 1.4 to 2.4 if wanted.

As Damien, suggested I would do the restore method onto a temporary VM.  Once you get all the way to 2.4 and test everything is working then simply fresh build your production VMs (one at a time) to 2.4 and join them to the temp VM to sync the config.  When both are converted move around personas to the starting state, kick out the temp VM and you have an upgraded deployment.

For most of our customers running 1.x we usually fresh build everything to current best practices.  What we were doing in 1.x and the naming conventions we used, policy set setup, etc. are different to what we are doing in 2.4.  I like taking a major leap from 1.x to 2.4 as an opportunity to fresh build a customer's ISE environment.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: