Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE upgrade from 2.7 to 3 - Mixed

robbyde0100
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have two PAN servers and two PSN servers (one PSN in a DMZ) running ISE 2.7 that I'm keen to upgrade to 3.

I've been reading the docs and see the recommended method is to create new VMs (backup and restore) and join them to the cluster, that's fine and I can do that but the PSN in the DMZ is managed by a third party meaning its difficult to get anything done.

Could I upgrade my on premises PSN and PAN servers to version 3 by creating new VMs and then push out the update to the 3rd via the update GUI or can you not mix methods?

If not is the GUI method really not recommended? Seems pretty straight forward.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Adding some personal opinions on the following statement: If not is the GUI method really not recommended? Seems pretty straight forward.

-For small patch updates (ex: 2.7p2->2.7p3) the GUI is very straight forward and I would typically recommend GUI for this type of task.  Then for bundle upgrades I typically recommend command line since you have more control of things and have the ability to see/follow along with the upgrade.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can upgrade on Prem one since in your control by reading the upgrade document  and release notes.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-7/upgrade_guide/Upgrade_Journey/HTML/b_upgrade_method_2_7.html

interms of DMZ one, (just thinking de-register and upgrade and join them back - is this works ?)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Adding some personal opinions on the following statement: If not is the GUI method really not recommended? Seems pretty straight forward.

-For small patch updates (ex: 2.7p2->2.7p3) the GUI is very straight forward and I would typically recommend GUI for this type of task.  Then for bundle upgrades I typically recommend command line since you have more control of things and have the ability to see/follow along with the upgrade.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: