Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE upgrade issue 1.4 to 2.0

pemasirid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was trying to upgrade ISE 1.4 (with patch 3) to ISE 2.0, I have downloaded the file from Cisco.com and copied to ISE disk:, however when it trying to unbundle the application (when we give the command "application upgrade prepare ise-upgradebundle-1.3.x-and-1.4.x-to-2.0.0.306.x86_64.tar.gz upgrade" it giving the error saying "% Unable to unbundle the package. It should be in tar.gz file format". the file downloaded is the same as it tried however I could see that hash value of MD5 was not the same where ISE was showing but when I verified the MD5 hash with the file I downloaded from Cisco.com is the same (mathching).

Here is the file I tried copied to the ISE - copy ftp://10.102.1.96/ise-upgradebundle-1.3.x-and-1.4.x-to-2.0.0.306.x86_64.tar.gz disk:\

Here its showing under repository name upgrade:

xxxxx/admin# show repository upgrade
ise-patchbundle-1.2.1.198-Auto6-131239.x86_64.tar.gz
ise-patchbundle-1.3.0.876-Auto2-130070.x86_64.gz
ise-patchbundle-1.4.0.253-Patch3-141133.x86_64.gz
ise-upgradebundle-1.3.x-and-1.4.x-to-2.0.0.306.x86_64.tar.gz

Here is the error I am getting when trying to uncompressed by ISE;

xxxxx/admin# application upgrade prepare ise-upgradebundle-1.3.x-and-1.4.x-to-2.0.0.306.x86_64.tar.gz upgrade

Getting bundle to local machine...
md5: e4409b1b8ee3cdf134f985f3a776077f
sha256: 6084f5809d162cf694d76e93c982d691e5f7c95015c37cf739a4beaa7c6c94b8
% Please confirm above crypto hash matches what is posted on Cisco download site.
% Continue? Y/N [Y] ? Y
Unbundling Application Package...
% Unable to unbundle the package. It should be in tar.gz file format

Can someone please advise what is going wrong here or has anyone experienced this error.?

thanks in advance

7 Replies 7

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I had the same issue. Try:

1. Renaming the file and remove the .tar just .gz:

ise-upgradebundle-1.3.x-and-1.4.x-to-2.0.0.306.x86_64.gz

2. Try re-downloading the file

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

check to make sure that you have enough free space to run the upgrade bundle.

Hi All, For me it worked when I tried using sftp only. If you try ftp you will face this issue, could be some hashing/integrity error on file while copying ftp or some other method than sftp, but really not sure..

Bas van Delft
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Encountering the same issue here.

- Hashes inconsistent

- filename not including .tar.

- error message "Unable the unbundle, it should be in tar.gz format.

Any luck with tackling this issue?

Solution: make sure the file is being copied fully.

The file I sent seemed to transfer successfully, but in the end it did not, the file size was only 1.2Gb. I did not receive errors along the way and assumed file transfer was successful. 

I tried using ftp via windows explorer instead of ftp via 3comdaemon and it worked. 

Jatin Katyal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

So I have seen this issue twice, the error you are seeing is slightly misleading as the extension is correct - Internal defect. Also I read that when you downloaded the file, the MD5 checksum was correct however while transferring the file via FTP it got changed. This seems to little buggy behavior and I guess we need to raise. However for time being, try SFTP server to transfer the file to ISE local Disk.

~ Jatin

~Jatin

nohfendi1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

The problem appears if directory in ftp server separate by space, I got changed it and work.

example : FTP SERVER change to FTP_Server

Please rate if helpfull
Thank You

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: