Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE VM Small License

joseponceiii
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a small ISE VM license (R-ISE-VMS-K9) that I will re-host to another ISE node VM. I'd like to ask if I can have below new VM specs and not be on out-of-compliance or reached the maximum spec that small ISE VM license would allow? I will be deploying the ISO 2.7 version to the new node.

R-ISE-VMS-K9 :

vCPUs = 12

RAM    = 32GB

HDD    = 400GB

Thank you.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Licensing does not care about HDD.  As long as the other specs are in ranges below you will be fine.  Here is a breakdown for the VM licensing structure:

VM Category

RAM Range

Number of CPUs

Small

16 GB

12 CPUs

Medium

64GB

16 CPUs

Large

256GB

16 CPUs

Lastly, if it is determined that you have exceeded resources you will get notifications/warnings, but per Cisco the services will not be interrupted.  HTH!

View solution in original post

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The info Mike posted is actually a little dated, it's for the 3515/3595 based VM templates.

With a small vm license you can have a node with 32GB of ram max, 16 vcpu, and disk space doesn't count towards licensing. This is a 3615 template. 

It's very important you don't size between VM's manually (like 24 gb of ram and 14 vcpu) , by changing memory or cpu to something other than 12/16vcpu and 16/32GB of ram. The node will pickup a platform template that is not a 3515/3615 and allocate resources wrong. This is a common cause for many deployment issues. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Licensing does not care about HDD.  As long as the other specs are in ranges below you will be fine.  Here is a breakdown for the VM licensing structure:

VM Category

RAM Range

Number of CPUs

Small

16 GB

12 CPUs

Medium

64GB

16 CPUs

Large

256GB

16 CPUs

Lastly, if it is determined that you have exceeded resources you will get notifications/warnings, but per Cisco the services will not be interrupted.  HTH!

Thanks for clarifying regarding HDD. So from above table, I'd assume that 32GB of RAM would still fall in Small category license? The same goes to CPUs, as long as you did not exceed any of those numbers? 

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The info Mike posted is actually a little dated, it's for the 3515/3595 based VM templates.

With a small vm license you can have a node with 32GB of ram max, 16 vcpu, and disk space doesn't count towards licensing. This is a 3615 template. 

It's very important you don't size between VM's manually (like 24 gb of ram and 14 vcpu) , by changing memory or cpu to something other than 12/16vcpu and 16/32GB of ram. The node will pickup a platform template that is not a 3515/3615 and allocate resources wrong. This is a common cause for many deployment issues. 

Oh okay, thanks. That's a great tip. So I think I'll be good with combination of 12 vCPUs /32GB RAM then. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: