Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE, Wireless (WLC) , 802.1x and Ipads

Adam White
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I cant seem to get the Ipads to work properly.

Laptops have no issues.

I have used the iphone configuration utility to create a wireless profile, Emailed it to the Ipad, imported the profile.

It prompts for a username and password on import.

When trying to join the wireless network, i get a request for the wireless nextwork password.

On WLC I get

client authentication failure,

Reason:Unspecified  ReasonCode: 1

Im going to keep digging, but if anyone knows how to do this and save me hours of trawling that would be great

6 Replies 6

Adam White
Level 1
Level 1

OK,

I made some changes, and i get a new error

Reason:802.11 Association failed repeatedly.  ReasonCode: 2

so a little more digging shows the WLC not passing the credentials onto the ISE.

IT passes the mac address in the username, and obviously fails on ISE

Hello. What's your SSID configuration ? and what's your IPAD configuration ?

Hi,

Ok, I managed to get it connected.

My issue is that even if i have the network advertised in my wifi->choose a network options on the ipad, i cannot connect to it.

I have to manually select other, enter the details, select the WPA2 and enter credentials. It then connects.

I have tried to role out profiles to the device, but it does not seem to have any effect at all. It does not try auto join nor does it allow joining via clicking on the wireless network directly.

This is obviously a problem if i have to roll this change out to +100 users.

Ideally, I would like to have the profile available which they can just install, and enter credentials.

Anyone got this working?

If you need to do mass configuration in you IPads you can try a MDM solution like Citrix XenMobile. If you have Cisco ISE you can also deploy two SSID, one SSID for the IPADs to autoprovision 802.1x and the other SSID is for production. But I find the MDM solution is simpler.

Please rate if this helps

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

It is happening with one IPAD only or you are facing this issue with each and every IPAD.

It is doing it on every single Ipad.

Once I manually enter the network details, it works 100%. But i cannot get it to auto join when using the apple profiles