Views
Helpful
Replies

Minimum Certainty Profiling Calaculation - Microsoft Windows 7 Workstation

kkaminsk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Folks,

Looking to validate correct behavior of how profiling calculates the minimum certainty score when there is a hierarchy involved.  I have a custom profile searching on hostname in dhcp to identify an internal asset.  I had to set this to 95 to get it to work for Microsoft 7 Workstations for a guest use case.  All internal corporate Windows laptops were to be banned from the guest ssid.  All Microsoft Profiles were kept at the below defaults.

The default Workstation Profile triggered:

Dhcp = MSFT 5.0  - 20

User Agent = NT 6.1 – 20

User Agent: Windows – 10

Microsoft Workstation Profile triggered:

User Agent: Windows – 10

Dhcp = MSFT 5.0  - 10

Windows-7-Workstation Profile triggered:

User Agent = NT 6.1 – 20

The grand total was 90 being triggered per Windows 7 Workstation.

I had to set the custom one to 95 to keep the internal workstations profiling properly.  This was ISE 1.4 last patch before the current one.

Question – these are duplicates in the various profiles in the hierarchy  – is this by design?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Timothy Abbott
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, this is by design.  The logic is to have the ability to profile the device to some degree with little information about it.  As we collect more information, we further refine the profile assigned to the endpoint to be more specific.

Regards,

-Tim

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Timothy Abbott
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, this is by design.  The logic is to have the ability to profile the device to some degree with little information about it.  As we collect more information, we further refine the profile assigned to the endpoint to be more specific.

Regards,

-Tim