cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New Laptop ISE dot1x 11634 Client requested TLS of unknown version

joeharb
Level 5
Level 5

We have a new laptop that will not authenticate with the network via Wired or Wireless.  I am trying to determine if there was some wrong with the build for this machine and have never had this issue in the past.  No changes have been made to ISE or switch config and authentications are working for other users.  Within ISE I see the following:  

Event 5400 Authentication failed
Failure Reason 11634 Client requested TLS of unknown version

I have tried to capture on the PSN but didn't see much and ran wireshark on the machine but don't see any indication of the issue.  Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this further?

Thanks,

Joe

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

joeharb
Level 5
Level 5

Appreciate everyone's assistance, going to open a TAC case on this, not able to locate in any of the logs what the client is actually presenting to ISE.

Thanks,

Joe

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Hi @joeharb  

if you are using Cisco AnyConnect, please generate a DART Bundle and please check for more information.

Hope this helps !!!

ISE Version? Patch level?  Do you have FIPS mode enabled?  AnyConnect or Windows Native supplicant?  What versions of TLS do you have enabled within ISE? 

https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/how-to-ask-the-community-for-help/ta-p/3704356

joeharb
Level 5
Level 5

ISE Version 2.7.0.356 Patch 3

FIPS Mode disabled.

Windows 10 Native suplicant.

TLS 1.0/1.1/1.2 are allowed.

Thanks,

Joe

This does indeed sound like an issue with that particular laptop.  However you are running a very old patch of 2.7.  I would recommend updating to Patch 7 as a best practice but I don't expect that to make a difference if other endpoints are working as expected.  

Also: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/identity-services-engine/bulletin-c25-2943876.html

ammahend
VIP
VIP

Good place to capture would be Authenticator so you have both eap (client side) and radius (server side) visibility, also capture endpoint debug from ise and share. I agree keeping patch up to date is always a good idea. 

-hope this helps-

joeharb
Level 5
Level 5

The following snippet is from the client side capture filtering for eap traffic:

LTFailure.JPG

I have attached the endpoint debug as well.  Will work on getting a fresh trace from ISE.

Just FYI but you may want to obfuscate those debugs before posting on a public forum.  It has some personally identifiable information in it like email address.

From what I see in the debugs they show ISE returning a reject and the switch suppressing the client.  

joeharb
Level 5
Level 5

Appreciate everyone's assistance, going to open a TAC case on this, not able to locate in any of the logs what the client is actually presenting to ISE.

Thanks,

Joe