Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Security and Docking stations?

IS34lyf
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community,

We have a cisco cat2960x and port security configured. I connected a Microsoft Docking station and looked at the running config and there is the MAC address of the docking station. I set the port-sec maximum 2, one for the IP phone and one for the docking station. If i plug in a laptop to the docking station, it should trigger port-sec. but it did not. i tried another laptop sure enough the port is still active. Anyone know why? i assume the docking station is like any other switch?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @IS34lyf 

Your docking station probably supports MAC address passthrough, meaning it passes through the MAC address of the connected laptop. This would be why port security does not exceed 2 MAC addresses per port.

FYI, Cisco does not recommend 802.1x and Port security enabled on an interface at the sametime.

HTH

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Hi @IS34lyf 

Your docking station probably supports MAC address passthrough, meaning it passes through the MAC address of the connected laptop. This would be why port security does not exceed 2 MAC addresses per port.

FYI, Cisco does not recommend 802.1x and Port security enabled on an interface at the sametime.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: