cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with TACACS+ using ASA5545, ACS 5.4

deanlee10
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to access an ASA 5545 using TACACS+.  I have the ASA configured as follows:

aaa-server tacacs+ protocol tacacs+

aaa-server tacacs+ (inside) host 10.x.x.x

timeout 15

key *****

user-identity default-domain LOCAL

aaa authentication enable console LOCAL

aaa authentication telnet console tacacs+ LOCAL

aaa authentication ssh console tacacs+ LOCAL

aaa authenticaiton http console tacacs+ LOCAL

aaa authorization command tacacs+ LOCAL

aaa authorization exec authentication-server

I have added the ASA in ACS with the correct IP and the correct key.

When I try to test the authentication via test aaa-server authentication tacacs+ host 10.x.x.x username cisco password cisco, I get:

ERROR: Authentication Server not responding: No error.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue and allow tacacs authentication when logging into the ASA?

21 Replies 21

Jatin,

The 'aaa authentication enable console tacacs+ LOCAL' is currently on the device.  I had it on the old command when I was still having problems even accessing the device via tacacs/ssh.  Based on the failure code in the previous reply, it seems like ACS is having trouble communicating with the ASA when it needs to authenticate the enable password - it's as if when you enter the password on the ASA, it's not getting all the way to the ACS to authenticate.  Is this just an error between the ACS version and the ASA software version?

I actually recreated with ACS 5.4 and ASA 8.4(5) and its working fine.

ciscoasa# sh run aaa

aaa authentication telnet console TACACS LOCAL

aaa authentication ssh console TACACS LOCAL

aaa authentication enable console TACACS LOCAL

aaa accounting command privilege 15 TACACS

from policy elements

Jatin Katyal

- Do rate helpful posts -

~Jatin

I also have the max privilege for the shell profile set to static/15.  The ASA I am running has 9.1(1).  Maybe there is a bug in the code?

hmm...you must have already checked but make sure we are hitting the right authorization rule in the accesspolicy.

from access-policy

Jatin Katyal

~Jatin

Jatin,

I don't know why this is the case, but when the ACS admin created my account, instead of creating a new account, he duplicated his account.  For some reason this made it so I couldn't enable using my tacacs.  He deleted my account and created it from scratch.  This fixed the issue.

thanks for bringing this to CSC.

Jatin Katyal

~Jatin

Hi Dean,

It is really a long time after this post but I am stuck with the same issue you were facing. All of my outputs are same as yours. 

You got the tacacs authentication working, So can you guide me how you did that?!

Thank you,

Sathvik