Views
Helpful
Replies

Procedure to change CLI password for admi user

endpoint
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

i have Cisco Context Directory Agent 1.0.0.011 installed by some other team member and i want to reset admin CLI password. Followed up how to reset passwrod (application reset-password cda admin) but i still login with old password.

Can someone provide some docs what would be correct procedure to change/reset CLI password for admin user? This is password configured when original installation is done.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Charlie Moreton
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The command that you entered: application reset-password cda admin changes the password for the cda application admin only.  This is the WebGUI admin.

To change the password for the CLI, try the command below:

Enter the Configuration mode.

Run the username password plain | hash role admin | user command

For example:  username admin password hash Cisco123 role admin

The words in bold are supplied by you.

Please Rate Helpful posts and mark this question as answered if, in fact, this does answer your question.  Otherwise, feel free to post follow-up questions.

Charles Moreton

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

So, it prompts you to enter the new password but you are still able to login with the old password after changing the password?

When you issue the command above, (and the admin user is exist) it will prompt you to enter the new password. Does it ask you for that?

here is a doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/ibf/cda_10/Install_Config_guide/cda_cmd_ref.html#wp1053345

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Charlie Moreton
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The command that you entered: application reset-password cda admin changes the password for the cda application admin only.  This is the WebGUI admin.

To change the password for the CLI, try the command below:

Enter the Configuration mode.

Run the username password plain | hash role admin | user command

For example:  username admin password hash Cisco123 role admin

The words in bold are supplied by you.

Please Rate Helpful posts and mark this question as answered if, in fact, this does answer your question.  Otherwise, feel free to post follow-up questions.

Charles Moreton

Hi Charles,

that did the trick. Is this some "hidden" command or i was not paying attention while reading docs :-)

Thanks.

The documentation only contains the note seen below:

Note The  username and password specified during the initial setup program can be  used for both the CLI and the GUI. If you change the GUI password using  the user interface, the CLI password does not change and vice versa.

The procedure for changing the CLI admin is not documented in the CDA Guide.

However, the command for the CLI admin is pretty universal for Cisco Appliances.

I'm glad this worked for you.

Charles Moreton

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: