Views
Helpful
Replies

Rehost ISE license without the old ISE stop working

drivera_
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

I was wondering if I can rehost ISE licenses without the old ISE to stop working. The old ISE does not have internet access, so I was thinking I can do that because they don't have a way to validate them.

I apprecciate if you can help me with this.

Thank you so much in advance.

11 Replies 11

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
It will work but you will be out of compliance. If you’re needing a long term license for your lab for example then please reach out to account team

Diego,

I will assume that the licenses were originally fulfilled under your CCO ID. If so, you can re-host them through http://software.cisco.com. Things get a little harder if you are not the person who did the initial fulfillment. You will either need to get the old license file names off the older ISE instance, find the PAKs for the licenses, or the CCO ID of the person that originally fulfilled the licenses. Contact licensing@cisco.com once you have something to track this down. http://software.cisco.com remains your fastest route.

Best Regards, Kevin

Hi kegagnon, 

I don't have internet access from none both ISE nodes (the new and the old one) , so you are telling me that I can do that re-host and still having working both of them?  The reason I need that is because we are migrating little by little so we need both ISE nodes work for the moment.  

Yes it will continue to work. Remember you also have a 90 day eval license on any new ISE install

Hi Jason,

Thank you for you answer.  That's the reason we're considering doing the re-host, because our eval-license are close to expire, and our deployment has taken more than we think at the beginning.  Furthermore, our customer don't want to keep applying eval-licenses to his ISE nodes. 

But if you're telling there is not problem with this and we can easly continue working with both ISE at the same tiem, then that's enough for me.

Thank you so much again.

If you require POC/Eval licensing beyond the 90 day period, there is also a documented procedure for Cisco partners to request POC licensing. When I do this I usually get licensing issued to be same day and the last lab POC license I received was for one year. That process includes 100 base, plus, apex, and tacacs.

Everyone,

If the goal is to have two working environments while purchasing licenses for a only a single ISE environment, that will violate the license terms of service. Please understand that looking for ways around license enforcement is a right to use.

Best Regards, Kevin

Hi kegagnon,

That's not the goal.  We are not going to migrate all the services at the same time to the other ISE deployment, and our customer does not want to continue applying eval-licenses again, so he wants to do the re-host as soon as possible without affecting the production environment.  When finishing the migration, the old ISE is gonna be down and won't  be operational again.  We want to do this only for a few days or maybe months.  Our migration has taken more than we thougt because our customer hasn't been able to be focused 100% on it because he has been bussy with other topics.

Diego,

I have the same issue. Were you able to re-host the licenses and have both deployments working while migrating?

Quintin

Yes, we were be able to do it with the CISCO TAC help.  They helped us by turning the traditional licensing to smart licensing.  That was all, because none of the both deployments had internet access.

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you seen How Do I Re-Host My Existing ISE Licenses?

It should explain the process.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: