Views
Helpful
Replies

Second NIC of ISE 3.3

cakwok
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I am setting up an ISE 3.3 VM with G0 as the OOB management, G3 as the interface serving traffic.  

G0 is working well, webui is accessible.  However when I put an IP at G3, the interface is not pingable despite the MAC address of G3 do appear in my cisco switch.

Here is my procedure -  application stop ise, halt, power off the VM, edit the virtual adaptors to the vlan I want, then power on the VM again.  G3 mac address appears in switch in the proper vlan but not IP pingable.

The VM comes with 6 virtual network adaptor fyi.

Could you share some hints? Thanks

3 Replies 3

Torbjørn
Spotlight
Spotlight

Can you see the correct ARP entries on both the gateway and on your ISE VM?

Happy to help! Please mark as helpful/solution if applicable.
Get in touch: https://torbjorn.dev

Yes i see a correct ARP entry... but is not able to ping..

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

@cakwok - Cisco ships the OVAs with 6 x E1000 adapters. Not sure if they are E1000 or E1001 these days - either way, if I deploy ISE via OVA (which is seldom), the first thing I do is to delete all six of these interfaces, and add in the required number of adapters as VMXNET3 (in the case of VMWare). This adapter is paravirtualised and reduced the impact on the hypervisor's CPU. And also, 99% of the time ISE only needs one Gig interface.

Where are you pinging the Gig3 from? If the source of the ping is the same subnet as the IP of Gig3 then the ping should work. If the source of the ping is on a different subnet, then you must configure a default gateway for that Gig3 adapter

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 gateway 192.168.100.100

- if your Gig3 has an IP address of 192.168.100.10, and that VLAN's default gateway is 192.168.100.100 then the above line must be added to the ISE node. You will now have an additional default gateway - but don't worry - ISE knows which one to use in each case - if a packet arrives on Gig3 then it will only use the default gateway in the example above. But all other traffic arriving on Gig0 will use the system default gateway.