Views
Helpful
Replies

SNS3415 for my lab tests

kirill2ll
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I'd like to use an SNS3415-K9 for my lab tests. It doesn't have an HDD. So I have a few questions:

1. I plan to install only eval image. For evaluation, the HDD requirements is 200GB (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-2/install_guide/b_ise_InstallationGuide22/b_ise_InstallationGuide22_chapter_01.html)
So is it possible to use an HDD for 160GB? Will it check the disc size during the installation or for eval image 160GB should be fine?

2. SNS3415 is supported only up to ISE 2.3. Will it be possible to install the eval image for ISE 3.0? Keep in mind I need it only for my lab.

3. The installation process:
a. Could you provide any guidance or documents on how to install the new image? What are the steps? Since the HDD is new, what should I expect?
b. Will Eval image be installed on the bare metal of SNS3415? If yes, the evaluation image of 3.0 should be installed on SNS3415, because it meets the CPU and Memory requirements in Table 1: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/3-0/install_guide/b_ise_InstallationGuide30/b_ise_InstallationGuide30_chapter_2.html
Or I'll have to install a hypervisor?

Please, feel free to give any comments and advice. I'll be happy to get an answer to any of my questions. Appreciate your help

Kirill

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hello @kirill2ll 

I have never tried this and I don't know of anyone who has succeeded in it either - but I have a feeling that if you tried to boot the SNS-34 box with any ISE .iso newer than ISE 2.3 (e.g. 2.4 / 2.6 / 2.7 / 3.0) then the ISE installer will complain that the underlying hardware is not sufficient. Give it a try anyway if it's in a lab. The 3415 doesn't have that much RAM to install a Hypervisor AND ISE 3.0 - 16GB seems minimum for ISE to run nicely - never tried with less. It might work with less. Then again, you can run ISE on a laptop with 16GB RAM ... I would not use that massive server for a half-baked solution.

If you plug some more memory into the chassis then that would be a way out. Put more memory in that box and turn it into a hypervisor.

I think you'd need to fiddle in the BIOS/CIMC and disable Secure Boot to allow the foreign OS (e.g. ESXi) to load - SNS appliances are shipped with this security installed - but if you are re-purposing the server then you should be able to run whatever you like on it.

View solution in original post

yes - you can even install ISE on VMWare Player as well - in my own lab I use Workstation Pro on a 32 GB laptop and I can run one ISE node, one Win2012 (AD/DHCP/DNS), CentOS (linux stuff) and a C9800-CL for my wireless controller - it's a great little setup. Pity that ISE is so memory hungry - back in the day I used to run two ISE 2.2 nodes (8 GB RAM). 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hello @kirill2ll 

I have never tried this and I don't know of anyone who has succeeded in it either - but I have a feeling that if you tried to boot the SNS-34 box with any ISE .iso newer than ISE 2.3 (e.g. 2.4 / 2.6 / 2.7 / 3.0) then the ISE installer will complain that the underlying hardware is not sufficient. Give it a try anyway if it's in a lab. The 3415 doesn't have that much RAM to install a Hypervisor AND ISE 3.0 - 16GB seems minimum for ISE to run nicely - never tried with less. It might work with less. Then again, you can run ISE on a laptop with 16GB RAM ... I would not use that massive server for a half-baked solution.

If you plug some more memory into the chassis then that would be a way out. Put more memory in that box and turn it into a hypervisor.

I think you'd need to fiddle in the BIOS/CIMC and disable Secure Boot to allow the foreign OS (e.g. ESXi) to load - SNS appliances are shipped with this security installed - but if you are re-purposing the server then you should be able to run whatever you like on it.

Hello @Arne Bier

Appreciate a lot your reply. 

Then again, you can run ISE on a laptop with 16GB RAM ...

- Is it possible to install ISE on VMware Workstation Pro? 

yes - you can even install ISE on VMWare Player as well - in my own lab I use Workstation Pro on a 32 GB laptop and I can run one ISE node, one Win2012 (AD/DHCP/DNS), CentOS (linux stuff) and a C9800-CL for my wireless controller - it's a great little setup. Pity that ISE is so memory hungry - back in the day I used to run two ISE 2.2 nodes (8 GB RAM).