cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TACACS+ devices administration

mdjan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys, We try to manage all our pack equipements with Cisco ISE(TACACS+). We have already done some Cisco devices (routers and switches) configuration and it's good. But we don't know how to configure client side configuration for TACACS+  for Huawei and Juniper devices.

If someone knows how to configure TACACS+ on these devices, it will be grateful for me.

Thank for the help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

I have configured a Juniper device in ISE 2.2. In the ISE TACACS Profile, under Common Tasks, Select 'Generic' and then manually add a MANDATORY custom attribute, where the name is local-user-name and the value is whatever you have configured on the Juniper.

If you click on the Raw View tab, you should see

local-user-name=adminxyz

TACACS is pretty universal and the Generic method allows you to craft just about any reply to the client.  Best to check the vendor documentation.  I had to do the same for Aruba Wireless, which is completely different again.  And HPE switches - again, different.  Always check the documentation.  Cisco only has nice TACACS profiles for its own devices (WLC/Nexus/etc.)  ;-)  But even those are not exhaustive examples of Cisco TACACS config.

I think one thing in ISE should be documented/explained better - and that is the TACACS Single Connect Mode under the Network Devices settings (where you add all your NAS's).  I have run into trouble with Aruba Controllers when using the option " TACACS Draft Compliance Single Connect Support". Aruba complained about the length of the packet.  I had to switch to the "Legacy Cisco Device" mode.  Go figure.  And all the while I had 'Enable Single Connect Mode' enabled.  I don't know if that is a clever option, but for the web GUI access to an Aruba controller it seems to work well.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

I have configured a Juniper device in ISE 2.2. In the ISE TACACS Profile, under Common Tasks, Select 'Generic' and then manually add a MANDATORY custom attribute, where the name is local-user-name and the value is whatever you have configured on the Juniper.

If you click on the Raw View tab, you should see

local-user-name=adminxyz

TACACS is pretty universal and the Generic method allows you to craft just about any reply to the client.  Best to check the vendor documentation.  I had to do the same for Aruba Wireless, which is completely different again.  And HPE switches - again, different.  Always check the documentation.  Cisco only has nice TACACS profiles for its own devices (WLC/Nexus/etc.)  ;-)  But even those are not exhaustive examples of Cisco TACACS config.

I think one thing in ISE should be documented/explained better - and that is the TACACS Single Connect Mode under the Network Devices settings (where you add all your NAS's).  I have run into trouble with Aruba Controllers when using the option " TACACS Draft Compliance Single Connect Support". Aruba complained about the length of the packet.  I had to switch to the "Legacy Cisco Device" mode.  Go figure.  And all the while I had 'Enable Single Connect Mode' enabled.  I don't know if that is a clever option, but for the web GUI access to an Aruba controller it seems to work well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: