Views
Helpful
Replies

Tacacs+ Shell Profiles for both IOS, IOS-XE and IOS-XR

AlexRasmussen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am working on implementing Cisco ISE as our Tacacs+ server in our company.

We have a mixed infrastructure with both Cisco IOS, Cisco IOS-XE and Cisco IOS-XR devices.

Right now, I am working on building the Policy Sets and belonging Tacacs Shell Profiles.

In my Tacacs shell profile (Privilige 15) I have configured a custom attribute for Cisco IOS-XR Taskgroup:

Type

Name

Value

MANDATORY

task

rwx:,#operator

Raw Profile Attributes:

priv-lvl=15

task=rwx:,#operator

When I use this Tacacs shell profile for Cisco IOS-XR devices it works great, but when I use the same Tacacs shell profile for Cisco IOS or Cisco IOS-XE devices it does not work.

For the Cisco IOS and Cisco IOS-XE devices the Tacacs login fails with error message: % Authorization failed

In the debug messages it say:

TPLUS: Processing the reply packet

TPLUS: Processed AV priv-lvl=15

TPLUS: Failed to decode unknown AV task=rwx:,#operator - FAIL

AAA/AUTHOR/EXEC(0000017D): Authorization FAILED

I then removed the custom attribute (taskgroup) from the Tacacs shell profile and then it works with Cisco IOS and Cisco IOS-XE – but of course not on Cisco IOS-XR devices.

It looks like the Cisco IOS and Cisco IOS-XE devices not understand and not ignore the included custom attribute in the Tacacs reply.

I want to hear if anyone have experience with using the same Tacacs shell profile for both Cisco IOS, Cisco IOS-XE and Cisco IOS-XR devices?

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nadav
Level 7
Level 7

IOS and IOS-XE can work with similar shell profiles. IOS-XR and NXOS are different beasts.

Either use a seperate shell profile for IOS-XR, NXOS and IOS/IOS-XE if using a mandatory attribute, or simply make these attributes optional. My suggestion is to split the shell profiles to different groups with a mandatory attribute if you want to keep the tacacs authentication secure. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Nadav
Level 7
Level 7

IOS and IOS-XE can work with similar shell profiles. IOS-XR and NXOS are different beasts.

Either use a seperate shell profile for IOS-XR, NXOS and IOS/IOS-XE if using a mandatory attribute, or simply make these attributes optional. My suggestion is to split the shell profiles to different groups with a mandatory attribute if you want to keep the tacacs authentication secure. 

@Nadav is correct. Different platforms have different underlying operating systems and/or features that may require different VSAs that other platforms may not understand (for example, NX-OS Virtual Device Contexts).

A common approach is to group similar devices into Network Device Groups (NDGs) and use those NDGs as matching conditions to create separate Policy Sets and/or Authorization Policies with the relevant Shell Profiles and/or Command Sets.

Cheers,

Greg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: