cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade the ISE on 2 nodes (active/stand by)

msompong1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I've the plan to upgrade ISE from 2.3 to 2.7 from my 2 nodes VM (active/standby).

Could you please advise can I do it without the downtime?

Thank you.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

take a look at the following link: ISE Upgrade Journey, Release 2.7. and ISE Compatibility Matrix for 2.7.

Have the following in mind to better understand your downtime:

1. RHEL for 2.3 is 7.0, for 2.7 is 7.6. (more time for the upgrade process)

2. ISE 2.7 supports the following Hardware Platform: 35XX and 36XX (double check the VM Appliance Recommendation, maybe  you need to add extra CPU, Memory or HDD)

3. run the URT (Upgrade Readiness Tool) before the upgrade to identity any issue that might cause an upgrade failure.

Hope this helps !!!

View solution in original post

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You could do it with minimal downtime, but I wouldn't say zero downtime. 

Assuming you upgrade the secondary and that goes well, it becomes the new 2.7 primary. Then you will upgrade the old 2.3 primary to be the 2.7 secondary, this upgrade process in itself is essentially downtime free from an end user perspective. The downtime will come when you want to swap the primary and secondary PAN rolls back to their original positions, both nodes will reload and you'll have about a 10 minute outage during the PAN swap. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi,

take a look at the following link: ISE Upgrade Journey, Release 2.7. and ISE Compatibility Matrix for 2.7.

Have the following in mind to better understand your downtime:

1. RHEL for 2.3 is 7.0, for 2.7 is 7.6. (more time for the upgrade process)

2. ISE 2.7 supports the following Hardware Platform: 35XX and 36XX (double check the VM Appliance Recommendation, maybe  you need to add extra CPU, Memory or HDD)

3. run the URT (Upgrade Readiness Tool) before the upgrade to identity any issue that might cause an upgrade failure.

Hope this helps !!!

Thank you Marcelo for the good information.

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You could do it with minimal downtime, but I wouldn't say zero downtime. 

Assuming you upgrade the secondary and that goes well, it becomes the new 2.7 primary. Then you will upgrade the old 2.3 primary to be the 2.7 secondary, this upgrade process in itself is essentially downtime free from an end user perspective. The downtime will come when you want to swap the primary and secondary PAN rolls back to their original positions, both nodes will reload and you'll have about a 10 minute outage during the PAN swap. 

Thank you Damien,

So during the upgrade not require the de-register the node right?

Can I say it like this?

1.Backup the config and operation data on the primary node.
2.Run the URT on the secondary node
    if it passes then
3.Upgrade to 2.7 from secondary node with CLI
4.Patch the upgrade in the secondary node to the latest patch version.
5.Re-do the step 3 and 4 on the primary node.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: