cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading from ACS 3.3 to ACS 4.0

stevechapman_2
Level 1
Level 1

How hard is it going to be upgrading our 3.3 to 4.0 anything I need to look out for?

Thanks

Steve Chapman

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steve,

Both ACS remian up and running all the time. Its the NAS (AAA-client) that sends request to backup acs if there is no response from primary acs. If NAS has a feature of sending request in round-robin , ACS will handle it.

Regards,

~JG

Do rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mustang2v
Level 1
Level 1

We upgraded our ACS from 3.2 to 4.2 about a year ago.  I worked closely with Cisco Tac on this.  I had to give to give them my ACS db and they converted/upgraded it from 3.2 to 4.2.  What i had to do is setup a seperate server with the new 4.2 code on it and then import the data Cisco worked on.  After ensuring the data was sound I stopped the services on my backup production ACS server, upgraded the software, had my seperate server then push its data to the my backup ACS and verify data integrity once again.  Then stopped the services on my primary production server, started the services on my backup ACS server, upgraded the software on my primary, replicated the data from my backup to my primary, check data once more, and then started the services on my primary.  Then setup the replication from primary to backup and verified it worked.  There might be better ways but that is what worked for me.

Kevin Knight

Jagdeep Gambhir
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Steve,

It is not that hard, but before you start make sure to take a back up of current acs and keep it on a save location. Check the release notes and see windows machine support 4.x version.

To upgrade you need to run setup .exe and hit ..next..next. During this process  you will see a check box stating "Do you want to keep existing database", make sure you check that else we will loose our configuration.

You can also call TAC to get it upgraded for you.

Regards,

~JG

Do rate helpful posts

stevechapman_2
Level 1
Level 1

We are upgrading our 3.3 to 4.0 also buying a 2nd 4.0 new.  I think I will see if tac can convert what I have now so I can bring it up on our new server then test before removing the 3.3. 

Other note does acs support round robin so I can have both of the up and running? or is it best to have one sit as a backup?

thanks for your input.

Chappy

Steve,

Both ACS remian up and running all the time. Its the NAS (AAA-client) that sends request to backup acs if there is no response from primary acs. If NAS has a feature of sending request in round-robin , ACS will handle it.

Regards,

~JG

Do rate helpful posts

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: