cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VM license is out of compliance

sujanyakj
Spotlight
Spotlight

We have smart licensed our cisco ise box. (ISE-2.4 release SNS3595 Medium 1200 GBHD 64 GB Ram 16 processor)

But it is showing out of compliance for VM large and Release Entitlement for VM Medium and VM small.

Please help me understanding this. Is anything we need to check from our end.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @sujanyakj ,

beyond what @ahollifield said ...

1. the VM Small, Medium and Large reaches EOL on Sep/21 and was replaced by the VM Common License !!!

2. If you’re using the Old VM License (i.e., R-ISE-5VM-K9=), you should migrate the Old VM License to the legacy VM Medium License ("R-ISE-VMM-K9=") and then migrate the legacy VM Medium License to the VM Common License !!!

3. Customers who are on ISE 2.X and ISE 3.0 can continue to use the legacy VM Licenses until the EOL Date of the Licenses. They also can migrate the legacy VM Licenses to the VM Common License and stay on ISE 2.X or ISE 3.0 !!!

VM Category:
. Small
Minimum 32GB RAM and 16 CPU cores for SNS-3615 equivalent
. Medium
Minimum 64GB RAM and 16 CPU cores for SNS-3595 equivalent.
Minimum 96GB RAM and 24 CPU cores for SNS-3655 equivalent.
. Large
Minimum 256GB RAM and 24 CPU cores for SNS-3695 equivalent.

Note: you can double check you HW Profile at:

ise/admin# show tech-support
Displaying ISE Profile ...
Profile : sns3595

OR
At Operations > Reports > Reports > Diagnostics > ISE Counters, check for ISE Profile (for ex.: SNS_3655).

Hope this helps !!!

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Might be applicable : https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-access-control/ise-license-out-of-compliance/td-p/3719520 and or consider p5 for 2.4 if not  yet done.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Is the only node in your deployment a 3595?

Yes, there are two 3595 boxes in distributed deployemnt mode.

So there are zero VMs in this environment?  You say two 3595 but you also say distributed deployment (which typically means PAN, MnT, and PSN on separate nodes)?  So what are the other nodes?  How many total ISE nodes are there?

If you do indeed only have two 3595 appliances, this is not expected behavior.  I would install the latest patch for ISE 2.4 and then contact TAC.

Hi @sujanyakj ,

Released Entitlement means "that you are not using" VM Medium and/or VM Small.

Out of Compliance for VM Large means that you need to add a VM Large license for each Node that you have

For ex.:

Licenses.png

Hope this helps !!!

Hi Marcelo,

Yes this ia helpful. Actually we have procured medium license but while licensing the box via registration token it is automatically taking large license which is not procured inatead of VM Medium.

Is there any settings which i have to do from my end to make the ISE to take medium license.

So you do have VMs in your environment then yes?  If yes, then you have provisioned your VMs with too much CPU/Memory and they are matching the large license and not medium.  Have a look here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-4/install_guide/b_ise_InstallationGuide24/b_ise_InstallationGuide24_chapter_01.html

Your VMs must have the medium size to use the medium license.  Secondly, Cisco now has moved to a VMC (VM Common license) that is a single license SKU for any size VM.  You will need to upgrade ISE though to make use of that 

We have used the below ova for ise deployment in linux kvm,

Ise-2.4.0.357-6.5ova-sns3595-medium-1200gbhd-64gbram-16cpu.ova

Ise resourcing detail is ,

16 cpu, 64 gb ram, 1200 gb hard disk

Hi @sujanyakj ,

beyond what @ahollifield said ...

1. the VM Small, Medium and Large reaches EOL on Sep/21 and was replaced by the VM Common License !!!

2. If you’re using the Old VM License (i.e., R-ISE-5VM-K9=), you should migrate the Old VM License to the legacy VM Medium License ("R-ISE-VMM-K9=") and then migrate the legacy VM Medium License to the VM Common License !!!

3. Customers who are on ISE 2.X and ISE 3.0 can continue to use the legacy VM Licenses until the EOL Date of the Licenses. They also can migrate the legacy VM Licenses to the VM Common License and stay on ISE 2.X or ISE 3.0 !!!

VM Category:
. Small
Minimum 32GB RAM and 16 CPU cores for SNS-3615 equivalent
. Medium
Minimum 64GB RAM and 16 CPU cores for SNS-3595 equivalent.
Minimum 96GB RAM and 24 CPU cores for SNS-3655 equivalent.
. Large
Minimum 256GB RAM and 24 CPU cores for SNS-3695 equivalent.

Note: you can double check you HW Profile at:

ise/admin# show tech-support
Displaying ISE Profile ...
Profile : sns3595

OR
At Operations > Reports > Reports > Diagnostics > ISE Counters, check for ISE Profile (for ex.: SNS_3655).

Hope this helps !!!

sujanyakj
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi @Marcelo Morais@ahollifield ,

Thanks for the response. It is very helpful and informative.

I will work on making the license VM common license.

As of now,I checked the ISE profile on the above mentioned path it is SNS3595. CPU is 16 and 64 gb hard disk(which is specification for medium VM)

But still when i am trying to smart license the VM appliance, its registering as VM large instead of VM medium.

Please call TAC to see what the problem might be with the Licensing thinking you have a Large VM.

Hi @sujanyakj ,

please work with TAC to regenerate your VM License.

Hope this helps !!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: