cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why can't I ftp files from my workstation to ISE?

RSundstrom
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I get this message when I try to upload the ISE 1.2 upgrade files to my ISE nodes local disk...

ISE-01/admin# Copy ftp://<my_workstation_IP_Address>/ise-upgradebundle-1.1.x-to-1.2.0.899.i386.tar.gz. disk:/

Username: rsundstrom

Password:

% Error: Transfer failed

When I enter the 'dir' command at the ISE CLI the filename appears but the the file size is 0 (zero).

I am trying to follow the guidelines for upgrading to V. 1.2. Placing the upgrade files on the ISE local disk is considered to be important.

Any ideas?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Tarik Admani
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Robert,

Is there a firewall in between your workstation and the ISE server? Also are there any logs from the ftp server that rule out the server from denying the download?

If this is a new spinup of filezilla by default the permissions for the user account you created will have to be looked at.

thanks,

Tarik Admani
*Please rate helpful posts*

View solution in original post

David Pease
Level 1
Level 1

Robert,

I was having major issues with attempting to transfer update files to ISE via FTP as well.  After trying numerous things, adn slamming my head into a wall for days, I was able to figure out the answer with a combination of a little guidance from here mixed with "Trial and Error" on my part.

You can view the entire topic here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/4064096#4064096

The copy string that finally worked for me is as follows:

copy ftp://(username):(password)@(FTP Server IP Address)/ise-upgradebundle-1.1.x-to-1.2.0.899.i386.tar.gz disk:/

There REALLY needs to be updated documentation that explans in better detail the FTP copy commands that Cisco allows on the ISE servers, as well as the syntax.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Tarik Admani
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Robert,

Is there a firewall in between your workstation and the ISE server? Also are there any logs from the ftp server that rule out the server from denying the download?

If this is a new spinup of filezilla by default the permissions for the user account you created will have to be looked at.

thanks,

Tarik Admani
*Please rate helpful posts*

Tarik,

There is no firewall between my workstation and the ISE server. I needed to install an FTP server (FileZilla) on my workstation and then everything worked.

Thanks,

Bob

David Pease
Level 1
Level 1

Robert,

I was having major issues with attempting to transfer update files to ISE via FTP as well.  After trying numerous things, adn slamming my head into a wall for days, I was able to figure out the answer with a combination of a little guidance from here mixed with "Trial and Error" on my part.

You can view the entire topic here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/4064096#4064096

The copy string that finally worked for me is as follows:

copy ftp://(username):(password)@(FTP Server IP Address)/ise-upgradebundle-1.1.x-to-1.2.0.899.i386.tar.gz disk:/

There REALLY needs to be updated documentation that explans in better detail the FTP copy commands that Cisco allows on the ISE servers, as well as the syntax.

Hello David,

I was able to get my ftp transfer completed by installing FileZilla on my workstation. I followed your link for references. It helped.

Thanks very much,

Bob

Fortunately, I got Bob's case.

In the interest of time we used FTP and will troubleshoot the SFTP problem very soon. Last we tried to connect via ssh sftp-ip username but it gave “shell request failed on channel 0”.  In the debugs we could see it was timeing out for some reason.

~BR
Jatin Katyal

**Do rate helpful posts**

~Jatin

Robert,

You are most welcome.   I am a fan pf spreading helpful information when I find it.  It is most irritating when you are searching for a problem, see someone with the same issue, and they post "Never mind, I solved it!"  and not give any idea what that solution was.

I am glad that my comment helped you with your issue!

Hi guys,

One quick question, Im having the same problems and Ive tried the solution mentioned here however i get the same error.

How do i use Filezilla for this? I have both the client and server but when i try to connect to my ISE, it doesnt do it.

Id appreciate your help

Sincerely,

Hello Dante,

Make sure Filezilla is started on your desktop.

Copy the file to be transferred into the C:/FTP folder on your desktop workstation.

From the ISE server;

Open a CLI session

From the command line;

Run the ‘dir’ command to view files in the directory.

Make sure there is enough space to store the incoming file.

From the command line;

Enter the command, “copy ftp://(username):(password)@(desktop IP address)/(filename) disk:/

You will be prompted for username (registered with Filezilla).

You will be prompted for password (registered with Filezilla).

The file transfer will happen fairly quickly.

From the command line run the command ‘dir’ to show the directory.

It should have the new file listed.

Compare file sizes from the file stored in C:/ftp to the one in the ISE server.

You may want to make sure there are no firewall issues. Windows Firewall, also.

Basically, this is what I did and it was successful.

This is gold! Thank you.

You are most welcome!  Glad it was of use!

Just ran into this issue on a 2.1.x install. I can attest that you MUST use the URL mentioned here: 

copy ftp://example(username):example(username)@10.1.1.20/ise-upgradebundle-2.0.x-2.3.x-to-2.4.0.357.SPA.x86_64.tar.gz disk:/

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: