cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Have You Realized The Importance Of The Boolean Or For Tracking?

Alex Pfeil
Level 7
Level 7

For years, I have setup IP SLAs and tracked them for different purposes.  The problem is that some of the IP addresses that I have been monitoring have actually had outages as well. In comes the Boolean or.  It is possible to create multiple SLAs, and then setup a Boolean or to track those SLAs.  You can then failover if two SLAs go down at the same time. This has already increased our uptime in my own environment and I think that this should become the standard for tracking internet circuits, etc.

Here is an example:

track 1 ip sla 1 reachability
!
track 2 ip sla 2 reachability
!
track 3 list boolean or
 object 1
 object 2

If track 1 goes down, track 3 will remain online. If track 2 goes down, track 3 will remain online. If track 1 and 2 go down, track 3 will go down, and you can react to that.  The idea is that the possibility of 2 IP addresses being down at the same time should be a lot less of a probability than 1 IP. The Boolean or is an easy way to make better decisions on when a circuit is truly down.  This is just one use case.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts! 

3 Replies 3

How does the boolean  "and" "or" work

to me it seems logical that in your example if 1 or 2 went down then it would trigger as you used "or" and if you used "and" then both 1 and 2 would be needed to trigger it.

Y
OK I was looking at logic the other way round, this is how it works
with a Boolean “AND” function requires that each object in the list be in an up state for the tracked object
to be up. A tracked list with a Boolean “OR” function needs only one object in the list to be in the up state for the tracked object to be up.

Alex Pfeil
Level 7
Level 7

Yes, I was looking at the logic differently as well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: