cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2900 some syslog missing

curtmcgirt
Level 1
Level 1

i have a 2921 router; pointing at a syslog server. the router has a loopback interface configured as the source of syslog. the router's gigabit0/0 interface has been flapping. i can see the up and down events for link and line protocol in the router's log, but on the syslog server, i only see the down events. 16 times in the past two weeks.

show log says "link up" in the trap logging description area. 

Trap logging: level debugging, 682 message lines logged
Logging to [an.ip.address] (udp port 514, audit disabled,
link up),

show log also says "3 messages rate-limited," but show run | include log says there is no logging rate-limit

show run | include logging
no logging queue-limit
logging buffered 10000000
no logging rate-limit
no logging console
no logging monitor
vxml logging-tag
logging trap debugging
logging origin-id string [router_name]
logging source-interface Loopback0
logging host [syslog.ip.address]

as a crude test to see if it was somehow related to the source being the loopback address, i shut down the flapping interface g0/0, and i could still ping the syslog server from source L0. 

any ideas where else i should look?

8 Replies 8

Hello,

what else are you logging ? I somewhere recall the access lists have a rate limit on the amount of messages that are logged, possible the 3 rate limited log entries originate there.

Either way, what are you using as syslog server ? Turn on 'debug snmp detail' to check what message are actually sent to the server.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As per your description - are you able to see logs when the interface go down logs in syslog server, and not able to see when interface come up logs - is this correct ?

check the on the interface below command enable or not.

logging event link-status

interface g0/0   - what is this interface - is this connected to network where you reaching syslog server, you mentioned you can reach syslog server using loopback, what interface it take path to reach syslog server?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

curtmcgirt
Level 1
Level 1

i added "logging event link-status" to g0/0. no change. the local log shows both up and down messages, but the syslog server only shows "down" messages. the syslog server is splunk, and it is logging both up and down messages from other cisco routers and switches.  

when i Turn on 'debug snmp detail', everything in the local log looks the same when i shut/no shut g0, as far as the up/down messages. but there are also a bunch of "snmpd: couldn't get a lock on the Q"

I use the below on all switches and all send the logs as expected open-source syslog server

service timestamps log datetime
service timestamps debug datetime
service sequence-numbers
logging host x.x.x.x
logging trap 5

BB

Hello,

try and change the source interface to something different than the loopback interface, and check if that makes a difference...

curtmcgirt
Level 1
Level 1

i changed the logging source interface to g0/1, same results in syslog server when i shut/no shut g0/0. 

i'd wonder if it was something on the splunk server, except other routers and switches are logging both link up and link down messages. 

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

check on Splunk config also.

BB

Could you provide some information about this router?

- If other interfaces go down and back up do you see both down and up in the syslog server? (is this problem unique to g0/0 or does it happen on other interfaces).

- What interfaces does this router have? (perhaps the output of show ip interface brief)

- If you traceroute to the syslog server with source as the loopback, then shut g0/0, and traceroute again to syslog server with source as the loopback does the traceroute output change?

HTH

Rick