cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2911 Routers behind firewall

jnewton83985
Level 1
Level 1

I no longer see a need for our 2911 routers that sit behind our firewalls and I am looking for feedback. 

At one point they were used for a T1 connection but that is no longer in use. They are configured for HSRP and OSPF however the OSPF neighbors consist of the standby 2911 and ASAs. There are some route maps in use and a lot of static nat translations but all this can be done by the ASA 5545-X. Below is a snippet of the topology to give you a better idea. 

I just don't see a need for them anymore. 

Routers.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

as far as I can tell, there are numerous static NAT entries for hosts that are not directly connected to the routers ? The point is: the ASA should ideally not replace the functionalities of a router, but just do what it is supposed to do, which is to protect your network. If you have a lot of routing going on between internal networks, simply removing the router might be problematic, and reconfiguring the ASA to perform the tasks of the router could be rather tedious, and at the very least requires detailed planning. After all, the router allows, by default, everything, while the ASA, by default, denies everything...

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Hello,

first of all, the 2911 is end of life as of 2016, so most likely the throughput is not what you need and want anymore. I would agree that the ASA in HA setup looks like it is sufficient. That said, what is the purpose of the routers in your current topology ? Can you post the configs ?

Yeah, they are eol and I was considering the C8200-1N-4T if they are replaced.

Attached is the config, I have removed quite a bit for security purposes. 

Hello,

as far as I can tell, there are numerous static NAT entries for hosts that are not directly connected to the routers ? The point is: the ASA should ideally not replace the functionalities of a router, but just do what it is supposed to do, which is to protect your network. If you have a lot of routing going on between internal networks, simply removing the router might be problematic, and reconfiguring the ASA to perform the tasks of the router could be rather tedious, and at the very least requires detailed planning. After all, the router allows, by default, everything, while the ASA, by default, denies everything...

Georg makes a good point about what would be doing the routing for the inside networks. We do not have information about what is down stream from the switches. But I do note that the router is running OSPF on the inside interface and is advertising a default route to its downstream neighbors. Based on this and on the unknowns about PBR I will back off a bit on my endorsement of removing and not replacing the router.

HTH

Rick

Need if Both ASA active/standby point to VIP of HSRP of Routers.

Neither ASA points to the HSRP VIP.

let check 
you have access SW L2
you have VSS which config SVI GW for host in access SW L2/L3
you have two router connect to VSS L3
you have two ASA active/standby connect to router L3

there is still one thing missing here are ASA is routed mode or transport mode ?

Routed mode.

Thanks for posting the partial router config. We do not know what you removed from the config, and some of that could possibly impact our advice. But based on what we know so far I think you would be fine to remove the routers and to not replace them with anything.

When you were using T1 the routers were necessary. If there is no more T1 then it removes the main reason to need the routers. When you mentioned some route maps I wondered about them. The only route map for which we have details is about forwarding traffic to the firewalls (and only sets a tag on traffic for tcp port 80). I am not clear what the purpose here is or how important this is. If it is important then you would need to find something downstream that could provide this function.

HTH

Rick