Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 management interface

eagles-nest
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I need to manage a 3850 stack on a different vrf from the default routing table.  There is no support for vrf's in the license version I have but the management interface G0/0 is automatically in Mgmt-vrf.  So I decided to apply my management address to that interface.  However, I also need to manage some other L2 switches via the same range.  So my thought was to take the 3850 management interface and connect it to a front port, g1/0/24, in vlan 100.  I then trunk vlan 100 to the other switches and apply the only IP address they have to the vlan 100 SVI.  When I try to ping the L2 switch from the management interface with ping vrf Mgmt-vrf it failed.  Strangely the 3850 could resolve the L2 switch ip/mac and the L2 switch could resolve the 3850 management interface ip/mac but pings didn't work.  When I looked at the arp table on the L2 switch and tried to find the mac address on the 3850 G1/0/24 it wasn't there.  Remember, the L2 switch had correctly resolved the 3850 management IP but there was no entry for the mac address on any interface.  Doing debugs and wireshark captures I could see the pings being returned to the correct IP and mac address but no ping replies came.  As a last resort I decided to put a static mac entry on port G1/0/24 for the management interface and it started working.

So it seems the 3850 was failing to put the management interface mac on the port I had attached it to. 

Does anyone know if this is a supported setup?  I've managed to get it working but only with the static mac workaround.

As always, thanks for any input.

Stuart.

0 Replies 0