cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 stack provision issue

Stupid-question
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2 member C3850 core stack, switch 1 is in provisioned state and is physically removed (not by me) switch 2 is the active switch. If I perform #no switch 1 provision will switch 2 renumber to switch 1 automatically when the first switch 1 disappears after the no switch command ?

#show switch detail

H/W Current
Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Member 0000.0000.0000 0 Provisioned
*2 Active 0c11.6784.b400 1 V06 Ready

Stack Port Status Neighbors
Switch# Port 1 Port 2 Port 1 Port 2
--------------------------------------------------------
2 DOWN DOWN None None

Assistance much appreciated.

Regards

John

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Stupid-question wrote:

If I perform #no switch 1 provision will switch 2 renumber to switch 1 automatically when the first switch 1 disappears after the no switch command ?

No, switch renumbering command will need to be entered separately: 

switch 2 renumber 1

And the switch will need to be rebooted to take effect.

View solution in original post

Both commands, the "no switch 1 provision" and then the switch renumber, must be entered.  

Once switch 2 reboots (and turns to switch 1), all config for switch 2 disappears. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Stupid-question wrote:

If I perform #no switch 1 provision will switch 2 renumber to switch 1 automatically when the first switch 1 disappears after the no switch command ?

No, switch renumbering command will need to be entered separately: 

switch 2 renumber 1

And the switch will need to be rebooted to take effect.

Thanks Leo,

I have entries in the config for both switches, will the "no switch 1 provision" command take care if this or do I need to edit the config i.e. delete all the Gi1/0/1-24 ports and rename the Gi2/0/1-24 to Gi1/0/1-24 ports ?

Rgards

John

Both commands, the "no switch 1 provision" and then the switch renumber, must be entered.  

Once switch 2 reboots (and turns to switch 1), all config for switch 2 disappears. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: