cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

45 instances of cwjava.exe running.

tmcmurray
Level 1
Level 1

I am getting VERY slow response from my Ciscoworks server and when I checked I saw 45 copies of cwjava.exe running as well as 2 copies of apache.exe and 11 copies of dbserv.exe running.  These seem to be draining a serious amount of resources.  The question is, is this normal?

8 Replies 8

torben-hansen
Level 1
Level 1

I have a similar problem with a great number of copies of cwjava.exe running as well as 2 copies of apache.exe and a lot of copies of dbserv.exe running. I have just upgraded to LMS 3.2, but I had also the problem with LMS 3.0.1.

Seems to be standard. I have 42 cwjava.exe , 2 apache.exe and 9 dbsrv10.exe

Use pdshow or pdshow -brief to see the ciscoworks processes.

Or use the webinterface Common services -> Server -> -Admin -> Processes to see what is going on.

You can use the processID to match the pdshow process to the process in the taskmanager

Cheers,

Michel

Im sure it has something to do with the new services installed with LMS.  Is there a list of services that there that will tell us what each one does?

Having many cwjava.exe processes running is normal behavior. As Michel mentioned, correlating pdshow output with task manager's display will let the curious know exactly which cwjava.exe is associated with which Cisco Prime process.

Rather than try to prune or turn off certain processes, it's a much better idea to just invest in some more RAM and load up the server. Cisco Prime is much happier with more RAM.

How much ram do we actually need?  I have doubled the requirements for Cisco works 4.1; 4 core @ 3.0 qhz, 8gb of ram for 90 manage devices, about 140 physical switches.

Double the minimum recommendation is usually sufficient.

If you are heavily leveraging the Performance polling functions that tends to be a big consumer of system resources.

I usually try to put in 2-3 times the minimum, with the thought that why cause $20,000+ of software on a $5,000+ server to suffer for lack of several hundred dollars of memory.

Typically is the CW server suppose to have constant high CPU usuage though?

We only have 100 managed devices with a quad core 3.0ghz processor.  My users are complaining about slow page refreshes when configuring a net config job or simply browsing around on the CW prime web interface.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: