cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7206VXR recommend IOS For EEM

lcd_shouldit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi , I want to configure my 7206VXR router with EEM , which can depend the  " status of track " make action .

The current version is c7200-jk9s-mz.124-12c.bin ,  seems can only depend on the syslog .

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Correct, you will need 12.4(2)T or higher to get the track event detector.  You should be able to run up to 12.4(24)T on this router.

View solution in original post

If AAA command authorization is configured, the username for EEM must be configured using the 'event manager session cli username ' config command.  This is the username that is sent to the AAA subsystem to authorize the commands that the 'action cli' commands are trying to execute.  Consequently the EEM user configured by the 'event manager session cli username ' config command must have authorization from the AAA server to run those commands.  If the user does not have authorization to run the commands being run by 'action cli' they will fail.  This poses a problem if the AAA server is down for example.  If the user is not also configured locally and a local authorization method is not defined as a fallback, command authorization for your EEM policies will fail if the server is unreachable.

The authorization bypass feature allows the admin to say, "I don't want EEM to run things through AAA command authorization."  So when an action cli command tries to execute a cli command and AAA command authorization is configured, the authorization step is bypassed and the command is allowed.

Mike

You can't.  The 7200 only supports up to EEM 3.0 and you need EEM 3.1 for AAA bypass.  However, there is a workaround documented at https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-12757#EEM_and_AAA_Command_Authorization .

Ah, 15.x is supported on the 7206VXR.  I think I was thinking of the standard 7206 that ended at 12.4T.  Yes, these images require 512 MB of RAM, so you will need to upgrade the memory in your router.

9 Replies 9

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Correct, you will need 12.4(2)T or higher to get the track event detector.  You should be able to run up to 12.4(24)T on this router.

Hi , thank you so much for so quick reply .

Hi,

event manager applet TEST authorization bypass

what does "authorization bypass" mean...

I have configured AAA on my router , Does EEM need username and password when excute the action....

I debuged event manage action cli , EEM still worked , no need to use username and password , I just want to confirm with you.

Thank you !

If AAA command authorization is configured, the username for EEM must be configured using the 'event manager session cli username ' config command.  This is the username that is sent to the AAA subsystem to authorize the commands that the 'action cli' commands are trying to execute.  Consequently the EEM user configured by the 'event manager session cli username ' config command must have authorization from the AAA server to run those commands.  If the user does not have authorization to run the commands being run by 'action cli' they will fail.  This poses a problem if the AAA server is down for example.  If the user is not also configured locally and a local authorization method is not defined as a fallback, command authorization for your EEM policies will fail if the server is unreachable.

The authorization bypass feature allows the admin to say, "I don't want EEM to run things through AAA command authorization."  So when an action cli command tries to execute a cli command and AAA command authorization is configured, the authorization step is bypassed and the command is allowed.

Mike

Hi Joseph Clarke ,

Would you please let me know if I want to use EEM authorization bypass feature , which IOS version  I should use on my 7206VXR Route.

Thanks a lot.

You can't.  The 7200 only supports up to EEM 3.0 and you need EEM 3.1 for AAA bypass.  However, there is a workaround documented at https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-12757#EEM_and_AAA_Command_Authorization .

Thanks a lot about your reply. :)

I have another question. It is not about EEM. It is about the upgrade on my 7206VXR.

This route have only 256M memory. I want to upgrade to 15.1(4)M5, but seems that this version need at least 512M memory. Am I right.....if it is true, I should find another version.
Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Ah, 15.x is supported on the 7206VXR.  I think I was thinking of the standard 7206 that ended at 12.4T.  Yes, these images require 512 MB of RAM, so you will need to upgrade the memory in your router.

.....Need to upgrade memory, bad news, but thank you for you help : )

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App