Views
Helpful
Replies

9300 Network Module Compatibility

TW80CJ5
Level 3
Level 3

Good Morning!

I have a question regarding the Network Modules for Cisco 9300's. Are they compatible with different speed modules? For example:

User Switch has (2) NM-2Y (25 gig transmission per port)

Core Node Switch has (2) NM-8X (10 gig transmission per port)

Can I connect my User Switch to the Core Node? I realize it might reduce my throughput from User to Core Node, but I can port-channel the connections to make up for the downgrade in throughput speeds. 

Thoughts / Suggestions?

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Standard  networking architectures will usually include  the reverse where core has higher speed up links (capable of) then client switches. In your case  you can only connect , if core and client can negotiate  upon a common speed (per port).

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Agreed on the Coren having high speeds...

However, I am wondering if the core and user switches can negotiate if the core is 10 Gig and User is 25gig ...???

we need to ask 1 question here, Do we really need user 25G connecting ? are the end-user ready for 25Gig connection.(it all depends on the requirement,) if the end-user required 25G connection you need to uplift all the uplink to 100G + network to make network path easy.

is this cost effective ( really not at all)?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco