Views
Helpful
Replies

A few questions about IP SLA

unfraget
Level 1
Level 1

hi everybody

i'm confused about some ip sla parameters, specifically - threshold  and timeout e.g 

if i do IP SLA test 

ip sla 1111
icmp-echo 8.8.8.8 source-ip 10.100.10.25
tag google-NS 
threshold 1000

timeout 5000
frequency 30

each 30 sec router will be send 10 packets

what is timeout ? timeout when all 10 packet will be dropped? or one of 10 will be dropped? and then test is triggered?

Is similar threshold - threshold between packets that was sent or amount time between the first packet was sent and the last packet?

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Timeout used - Sets the amount of time an IP SLAs operation waits for a response from its request packet

threshold -  Sets the upper threshold value for calculating network monitoring statistics created by an IP SLAs operation.

in your example :

The ICMP Echo probe sends an ICMP Echo packet to IP 8.8.8.8 every 30, as defined by the “frequency” parameter.

Timeout sets the amount of time 5000 (in milliseconds) for which the Cisco IOS IP SLAs operation waits for a response from its request packet.
Threshold sets the rising threshold 1000 (milliseconds) that generates a reaction event and stores history information for the Cisco IOS IP SLAs operation.

depends on the outcome you take action.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi i realize that is amount of time

Timeout sets the amount of time 5000 (in milliseconds) for which the Cisco IOS IP SLAs operation waits for a response from its request packet.

but amount of time for what? 

When router doesn't received an response from first packet of 10? Or if all 10 ?

Threshold sets the rising threshold 1000 (milliseconds) that generates a reaction event and stores history information for the Cisco IOS IP SLAs operation.

i've read cisco site. My question about threshold is this time between packets that was sent or amount time between the first packet was sent and the last packet?