cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

About time related OID in ASA 5520

feilongwudi2088
Level 1
Level 1

hi, I am new here. I'd like to find time related OID in ASA 5520. But when I run "show snmp-server oidlist", I found there is no time related OID in ASA 5520. I want to use snmp sensor about ntp status or system current time. Is there any solution for my problem? Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jossabor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

The OID to monitor current time and date is csyClockDateAndTime, that belongs to the CISCO-SYSTEMS-MIB which is not supported on the ASA, for NTP status the MIB is CISCO-NTP-MIB which also is not supported on ASA devices.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

jossabor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

The OID to monitor current time and date is csyClockDateAndTime, that belongs to the CISCO-SYSTEMS-MIB which is not supported on the ASA, for NTP status the MIB is CISCO-NTP-MIB which also is not supported on ASA devices.

Clock synchronization is vital for security, especially for audit log correlation. PCI DSS mandates that network equipment synchronize their time with an NTP server and their time is monitored (i.e by a NMS) for possible skews. So when logs need to be audited for a certain date and time, first the NTP sensor logs in the NMS is queried to fetch the skew value at a particular time instant, then the actual log in the syslog for that particular time is retrieved and then its time stamp is corrected considering the skew value.

How could Cisco miss this in their major security line of product? 

Thank you for replying. So, there is no way in ASA to achieve my goal?

Using snmp polling there is no way for the NTP synchronization or current time and date to be polled, you can try other options like EEM scripts and TCL scripts. For  that there is a specific forum where you can get help configuring the  scripts so that you can get that information send on a syslog manner. 

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/5941/eem-scripting

thank you. I will check it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: