cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Acquiring tools for Win8

sendalot7
Level 1
Level 1

Where can I acquire Win-8 version of "Cisco Network Assistant" and "CCP," etc?

The one on Cisco website requires a service contract.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

newegg doesn't support Cisco equipment but they should be able to sell you a support contract. They are an authorized reseller. Their web site says Smartnet is "discontinued" so they might not be the best avenue via which to buy one through.

Their business model is lowest cost which generally doesn't work well with more complex purchases that require vendor staff to advise you and not just quickly ship out whatever you put in your online shopping cart.

The entry level Smartnet (8x5xNBD hardware replacement, software upgrades and unlimited TAC support) for a base ASA 5505 (a $595 list price product) is US$71 (per year) list price. CDW offers it for $69.99:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Cisco-SMARTnet-extended-service-agreement/1186001.aspx

If you move up to the 5500X series the cost goes up accordingly. CDW doesn't list it that I could find but the list price for Smartnet on a 5512X is US$479 (~10% of the product list price).

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You shouldn't need a service contract, just a (free) cisco.com userid for those tools. Did you try creating one and using it?

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

CNA and CCP are free. In case you have a problem downloading that. Share your email address/CCO ID directly or via private message, I can publish it for you.

-Thanks

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Seems they don't work in Windows 8 though.

Do I have to have a service contract for AnyConnect or Easy VPN?

Thanks.

There's a known issue with Windows 8 / IE 10 and CCP. Please see the work around here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/4057546#4057546

I've not seen people report the same issue with Cisco Network Assistant (although Windows 8 is not an officially supported OS for it either). I'd suggest you start a new thread if you have issue with that.

AnyConnect Secure Mobility client and Cisco VPN client (used by Easy VPN) software requires a support contract to download a la carte. It is also included with the systems necessary to setup a VPN head end (e.g., a Cisco ASA).

So should Cisco VPN client be inlcuded in the CD that I got with the ASA?

As far as I recall, current ASAs are not shipping with the older VPN client software. That client is end-of-sales (Reference) and not recommended for new deployments. Even when it was a current product, the supported way to get it was via download as a customer with support contract. (Reference)

ASAs do ship with AnyConnect images installed on flash - though they might not be the most current version. Entitlement to software upgrades is one of the several reasons why it's a good idea to purchase a support contract with your equipment.

For both clients, your reseller should be able to provide a copy of the current version (assuming you purchased via an authorized reseller).

Sadly newEgg says it doesn't support anything.

So I supposed I need a contract when Cisco sales opens on Monday again.

How much are these contracts?  I hope it's around $100s for a year.

newegg doesn't support Cisco equipment but they should be able to sell you a support contract. They are an authorized reseller. Their web site says Smartnet is "discontinued" so they might not be the best avenue via which to buy one through.

Their business model is lowest cost which generally doesn't work well with more complex purchases that require vendor staff to advise you and not just quickly ship out whatever you put in your online shopping cart.

The entry level Smartnet (8x5xNBD hardware replacement, software upgrades and unlimited TAC support) for a base ASA 5505 (a $595 list price product) is US$71 (per year) list price. CDW offers it for $69.99:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Cisco-SMARTnet-extended-service-agreement/1186001.aspx

If you move up to the 5500X series the cost goes up accordingly. CDW doesn't list it that I could find but the list price for Smartnet on a 5512X is US$479 (~10% of the product list price).

Just to confirm, CDW is a reliable source?

Thanks.

Yes, they are. I'd recommend talking with a sales rep though to better guide you if you are new to this.

Good luck.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: