cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Added a VLAN to the trunk....shut down half our phones.

JWHolm81891
Level 1
Level 1

So, we were testing some things in the IT lab today, things we didn't think would do any harm on a live production environment. Well, we were wrong. lol We have it back up now, but I can't stop wondering WHY adding a VLAN (the subnet our CME is in) to the trunk would just shut down everything on that switch stack (at least the 1st switch of it). I replaced some numbers with 'x's for security reasons, but here's the VLAN config: 

interface Vlan248
description Cisco VOIP
ip address xx.7.xxx.254 255.255.255.0
no ip redirects
no ip proxy-arp
standby 0 preempt delay reload 500
standby xxx ip xx.7.xxx.1
standby xxx priority 110
standby xxx preempt
standby xxx authentication md5 key-string 7 #######

Why would adding this to the trunk bring stuff down. (Side note, this VLAN was still allowed on the trunk when it was no longer configured on any switchport. Maybe that's a reason?)

5 Replies 5

about the op150 , is it solve ?

for this draw topology 

we're still working on it

Hello,

tough one. How exactly did you add the Vlan to the trunk, did you use the 'vlan allowed' command ? Do you remember the exact command sequence you used ? I guess if you did use the 'vlan allowed' command, as soon as you enter that command on one interface, there will be a mismatch on the other side, which could have caused your issues...

I actually just added the VLAN to the allowed list. And yepp, I bet you're right. Pretty obvious, and yet I didn't think of that. 

A mismatch is an interesting possibility. I also wonder about the possibility that when you added the vlan to the trunk it connected the vlan to other devices and perhaps created a loop and spanning tree took down your phones?

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: