Views
Helpful
Replies

Alerts from Cisco LMS

durghamj7
Level 1
Level 1

Dears I have some concerns about SNMP and Cisco LMS :

Our network device sent a LINK DOWN trap to CISCO LMS followed by LINK UP trap . I can see these messages from the device logs . My questions is :

1-If the device is configured correctly to send snmp traps .And the syslog is showing both messages (LINK DOWN , LINK UP) then we can say the device is sending the snmp traps ?

2-Why the LINK UP trap is missing in Cisco LMS .. What should we check to make sure LMS is sending and receiving these alert in proper way  ???

Thanks in advance .

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

correct , if the SNMP TRAP is enabled then ideally snmp trap will be sent.

Thanks-

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi ,

-If the device is configured correctly to send snmp traps .And the syslog is showing both messages (LINK DOWN , LINK UP) then we can say the device is sending the snmp traps ?

Syslogs are different from SNMP traps , If you are seeing syslogs for linkup and linkdown ,it does not mean that device is sending the SNMP traps as well.

2-Why the LINK UP trap is missing in Cisco LMS .. What should we check to make sure LMS is sending and receiving these alert in proper way  ???

You can verify the snmp trap by packet capture

Thanks-

Afroz

****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Thanks Mr.AFROJ for the reply

We all know that the snmp traps is different than syslog but the real question is if the device recognize a LINK DOWN , LINK UP for any interface and it record it in syslog .

Then the device should send the snmp trap -if configured- at the same time shown in the syslog , right ?

Thanks .

correct , if the SNMP TRAP is enabled then ideally snmp trap will be sent.

Thanks-