Views
Helpful
Replies

Allow a cloud in PT to access the internet

Pietro955
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I'm doing a lab for training and I'd like to connect the cloud from packet tracer to my real internet, so I can ping 8.8.8.8 from a pc that is in the lab. Is it possible to do? I mean I want a real access to the internet in my little PT lab.

Sorry for my bad english and thanks to all.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tyson Joachims
Spotlight
Spotlight

What I always did was just place a server in the lab on the "Internet" and set it's IP address as 8.8.8.8. You can enable DNS and HTTP so users can simulate the real internet. You can even customize some webpages but it is very basic. Don't try and replicate CNN or ESPN. You can replicate Google but don't expect it to actually search anything.

Attached is an example lab I did for my students. It is only partially ready. The goal is for the students to get all the networking completed but the "Internet" side is ready to go. Once they complete the networking, they should be able to open a web browser and go to www.google.com and a site appears.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Tyson Joachims
Spotlight
Spotlight

What I always did was just place a server in the lab on the "Internet" and set it's IP address as 8.8.8.8. You can enable DNS and HTTP so users can simulate the real internet. You can even customize some webpages but it is very basic. Don't try and replicate CNN or ESPN. You can replicate Google but don't expect it to actually search anything.

Attached is an example lab I did for my students. It is only partially ready. The goal is for the students to get all the networking completed but the "Internet" side is ready to go. Once they complete the networking, they should be able to open a web browser and go to www.google.com and a site appears.

Thanks a lot

Martin L
VIP
VIP

No, or not yet.  PT cannot reach your real internet, your home router.  But you can set up PT to communicate with other PT on another PC via home network.  PT Packets and frames are only recognized by another PT.

You can user GNS3 router to reach Internet via your home router. That is possible 'cause GNS is emulator and GNS router uses real IOS image.  It is even possible for your PC that you use now to read this to connect to your home Internet via GNS3 router or ASA firewall (running inside of GNS emulation software).

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **