cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyone ever put Access-Lists on a Catalyst 6509?

troyheiss
Level 1
Level 1

I'd like to try setting up a WOL configuration for a couple of VLANs per http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a008084b55c.shtml. I understand that since it's CatOS, the commands will be different. Just generally wondering if setting up access-lists on your core switches is too much and a poor idea.

Thank you,

Troy

2 Replies 2

Troy,

In general it's a good practice to not use access lists on Core switches as they are meant to do fast switching of packets in the core and do not want to be bogged down because of high number of packets that need to be process switched because of access list etc.

However there may be situations where you would have have no choice but to implement access lists on core devices. There are some things like CPU utilization, average bps/pps traversing the VLAN interface on which ACL is applied, volume of traffic handled by the switch etc., that you may want to consider to decide whether ACL can be implemented or not.

HTH

Sundar

Thank you Sundar for your reply.

The desire to use WOL comes from Desktop Support and I understand that it would be handy, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way/clean way to do it without access-lists. However, I'd rather not sacrifice performance of the entire campus to implement it.

Thanks again,

Troy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: