Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Archive management problem

Hello to all,

Our network has approximately 2500 devices (routers, switches, pix) and we are running LMS 3.0.1 on solaris 10. Lately I have seen that the archive synch fails for most of our devices. After making a small configuration change on a random device I tried to synch the archive, but the job failed. Attached you will find all the related "printscreens". There is nothing wrong with the device credentials. I have also noticed that sometimes when the synch is succesful, instead of moving the startup config to the running config in the version tree, it replaces the startup config and I loose the previous startup. Any help will be highly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It appears the archive has become corrupt for this device. You might try removing this device from RME, then re-add it, and see if the archive operation is successful.

As for archiving the startup config, what you're seeing is expected. Only one copy of the startup config is archived. Multiple versions of the running config are kept.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It appears the archive has become corrupt for this device. You might try removing this device from RME, then re-add it, and see if the archive operation is successful.

As for archiving the startup config, what you're seeing is expected. Only one copy of the startup config is archived. Multiple versions of the running config are kept.

Thanks jclarke for your reply. I was afraid that you would tell me to remove and re-add the device, but I have a whole of 2500 devices and it will be really time consuming to do that for all or most of them. Is there any other solution? As for the last part about the startup config, I understand that I there can only be one startup config, but shouldn't the previous startup config be moved to the running confings??? This doesn't happen in our LMS and I cannot keep track of the config changes in this manner.

Thanks in advance,

Katerina

If the archive is really damaged, then removing the problem devices and re-adding them is the only solution moving forward. However, you can restore a known good backup of LMS to return the archive to its last known good state.

Each time a new startup config is archived, the old one is overwritten. It does not become a running config. However, if there were changes to the running config, you should have a new running config in the archive, and the previous one should have been retained.

I will try to remove and re-add a device to see what happens. But I don't really understand what the point of the archive is if it doesn't keep past copies of the startup configs. How can I keep an archive history? And also what is the best practice for the collection settings? Should both periodic polling and periodic collection be enabled?

Thanks in advance,

Katerina

Since the running config typically changes every time the startup config changes (and sometimes the running config changes without a startup change), you will always have the necessary changes in the archive with just the running version history.

We typically recommend one enable weekly periodic collection with daily periodic polling. Additionally, it is recommended to send syslog messages to RME to collect configs as they change in real time.

So for the latter part I need to enable "snmp-server enable traps config" on all our devices. I think that this is what caused my problem in the first plase (archive management not being updated correctly). We thought that this command caused unnessary snmp traffic so we removed it. I will re-add it and see what happens. Thanks for all your help : )

No, SNMP traps are not processed by RME. you need to configure the RME server as a logging host:

logging x.x.x.x

Where x.x.x.x is the IP address of the RME server.

We have logging x.x.x.x on all our devices, but still when someone changes the config the archive is not updated. I have re-created the schedule for periodic polling and periodic collection and I am waiting to see what happens (I will give it about a week, because I have scheduled both polling and collection to be executed once a week). My last choice as I see it is to delete and readd the devices, which means I have to keep a backup of all the RME archive, just to be on the safe side. How can I do that? Will copying the shadow directory be enough?

Thnx again,

Katerina

Yes, if you copy the shadow directory config for a device you will have the latest copy of the config that RME has archived. However, you cannot reimport this config into RME after removing and re-adding the device.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco