cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ARP incomplete during phased transition to a new L3 switch

meisemann7
Level 1
Level 1

Right now, my L3 switch is operating as a L2 switch (no IP routing command) and everything is connected to the new switch and all traffic is essentially getting trunked to the old L3 switch.  The old L3 switch has a physical router interface which routes the traffic.  All that works great now.  As soon as I turn routing on for the new L3 switch, I lose remote connectivity.  The configuration for both switches is 'exactly the same' and I use a static route for '0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 A.B.C.D' so all traffic essentially goes to the physical routed interface.  When I disconnect the trunk link and move the physical routed interface to the new switch (again both interfaces on old L3 and new L3 are the same) and have 'ip routing' enabled, I can not ping certain access layer switches.  If I do a 'show ARP', I have some 'incomplete' entries in my ARP table.  I am somewhat at a loss as everything looks like it should work on the new switch.  Ideas?

Could an ACL that worked in the old switch on a port interface, suddenly not work as expected on the new switch.  The new L3 switch is a Catalyst C3650 series if that helps.  Thanks ahead of time for any help you can provide.

Thanks,
Matt
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

meisemann7
Level 1
Level 1

Well, I due to business, I don't want to post the config.  However, I do have SVI interfaces and associated IPv4 addresses.  I will work on this topic and close it for now.  Thanks for the replies.

Thanks,
Matt

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post old and new switch configuraiton and small network diagram how they connected ,.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

related to this issue of incomplete ARPs is that I get the message below.

"%HMANRP-6-EMP_NO_ELECTION_INFO: Could not elect active EMP switch"  does anyone know what this means?

Thanks,
Matt

Matt

This article indicates that this error is caused by a bug. If you have a service contract for the switch I suggest that you open a case with Cisco TAC.

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvu78125/?rfs=iqvred

HTH

Rick

That link shows a Catalyst 9300 series switch but mine is Cat 3650 so I'm not sure if it is applicable.  Thanks though, it probably doesn't hurt to try and upgrade the switch.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt

It probably would be good to upgrade the switch, especially if there is some possibility that it might be a bug in the code. Also might be good to open a case with Cisco TAC and ask if that message is associated with a bug.

HTH

Rick

meisemann7
Level 1
Level 1

Well, I due to business, I don't want to post the config.  However, I do have SVI interfaces and associated IPv4 addresses.  I will work on this topic and close it for now.  Thanks for the replies.

Thanks,
Matt
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: