cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5525 Hardware Issue

CSD1234csd
Level 1
Level 1

After reviewing the various Communities I didn't see one for physical hardware issues, if there is a more recommended place please let me know. 

Issue: Was at our company's datacenter, opened the cage & was met w a blast of extremely hot air (not normal), after poking around the only I could tell was it was coming from our 2 ASA's. our configuration is 

Nexus 5K Flexunits

2 - ASA's

2 - Fortinet FW's

on the port side of the ASA's I noticed that the fan next to the power input was not on / spinning.  From the from of the ASA's I could tell the fans were on, from sh env:

Cooling Fans:
   Chassis Fans:
   Cooling Fan 1: 10496 RPM - OK
   Cooling Fan 2: 10496 RPM - OK
   Cooling Fan 3: 10496 RPM - OK
Temperature:
   Processors:
   Processor 1: 63.0 C - OK 
   Chassis:
   Ambient 1: 46.0 C - OK  (Chassis Back Temperature)
   Ambient 2: 40.0 C - OK  (Chassis Front Temperature)
   Ambient 3: 45.0 C - OK  (Chassis Back Left Temperature)
Voltage:
   Channel 1:  1.112 V - OK  (CPU Core)
   Channel 2: 12.040 V - OK  (12V)
   Channel 3:  4.998 V - OK  (5V)
   Channel 4:  3.280 V - OK  (3.3V)
   Channel 5:  1.488 V - OK  (DDR3 1.5V)
   Channel 6:  1.040 V - OK  (PCH 1.05V)

I contact support who took a look at the cli & sent out two replacement units, however after letting them burn in for a few hours I checked the back fan next to the power input & it was also not on / spinning. I asked tac if the fan should be on, but they were clueless. anyone have thoughts on A. is the read out abnormal? b. should the rear fan always be on or only come on when the unit reaches a certain temperature? From looking around i'm not finding much info. 

thanks 

6 Replies 6

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What model ASA do you have?

Doh!  Just saw the title - you have a 5525.

I just checked an ASA 5512 here, and the fan next to the power supply is not spinning.  The room it is in is a nice temperature, so it seems this might be normal when it is not cooking hot.

I agree with Philip,  we just recently deployed ASA 5516s and the chassis fans, run at intermittent times and not all the time.

Thanks everyone!

what I can't figure out is why my two ASA's are emitting such heat. while I don't live at our datacenter, I don't recall this level.....which is leaving me a little uneasy even though the specs are clean. 

Result of the command: "show environment"

Cooling Fans:
-----------------------------------

Chassis Fans:
--------------------------------
Cooling Fan 1: 7424 RPM - OK
Cooling Fan 2: 6912 RPM - OK
Cooling Fan 3: 7424 RPM - OK

Temperature:

Processors:
Processor 1: 41.0 C - OK

Chassis:
Ambient 1: 33.0 C - OK (Chassis Back Temperature)
Ambient 2: 29.0 C - OK (Chassis Front Temperature)
Ambient 3: 34.0 C - OK (Chassis Back Left Temperature)

Voltage:
Channel 1: 1.176 V - OK (CPU Core)
Channel 2: 12.126 V - OK (12V)
Channel 3: 5.068 V - OK (5V)
Channel 4: 3.008 V - Critical (3.3V)
Channel 5: 1.504 V - OK (DDR3 1.5V)
Channel 6: 1.048 V - OK (PCH 1.05V)

Does anyone else have this issue?

On the 5525 the airflow is from front to back and the unit is about 18 inches deep.  In addition the power button and the SSD drive are on the front of the unit.  If you mount the system with the front on cold isle then the ethernet ports and all of the information lights are no longer visible because the unit is not long enough to fully extend to the other side of the rack.  It is only 18 inches deep.

If you reverse the mounting brackets to the back of the unit and mount it on the Hot Isle the power button is not reachable because the blank panels (required by the data centers) have to be installed on the cold isle in order to prevent heat escaping.  The other problem is the unit no longer has access to cold air.

Seems odd that they would change the design of the older 5520 units where everything you needed to access was on the back of the unit and the airflow was back to front. 

I am replacing my ASA 5520's which are properly mounted with the ethernet ports on the cold isle and will have to completely redesign our the layout of the cabinet's in order to be able to access the front and back of the NG 5525 units.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: