cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA log not showing rule hits

irbk
Level 1
Level 1

Hopefully I'm in the right place.  Here are the basics.
ASA 5525 in HA pair.  ASA 9.14(3), ASDM 7.17(1)152.
Show run logging gives me this
logging enable
logging timestamp
no logging hide username
logging standby
logging buffered debugging
logging trap informational
logging asdm informational
logging host lc-corp 10.81.10.31
logging class auth trap informational
logging class config trap informational
logging class vpn trap informational
logging class vpnc trap debugging
logging class webvpn trap informational
logging class svc trap informational
no logging message 106015
no logging message 313001
no logging message 313008
no logging message 106023
no logging message 710003
no logging message 302015
no logging message 302014
no logging message 302013
no logging message 302018
no logging message 302017
no logging message 302016
no logging message 302021
no logging message 302020

So logging 106100 is enabled, logging buffered is debugging, logging asdm is informational.  For my rules in question, logging is enabled and set at debugging.  I think that covers all the basic questions that are asked. 

The issue, there are several "any IP" rules that I want to get rid of.  Just focusing on 1 specific rule

"access-list lc-tst-env_access_in line 26 extended permit ip object lc-tst-env-10.81.20.0 object-group LC-JC-Subnets log 7 interval 300"

In the ASDM, I right click on the rule, I click "show log" and nothing hits the log.  I see the hits on the rule increasing but nothing ever shows in the log.  I've done this same thing on other rules and I've got information back as to what traffic was using the rule.  This particular rule wants to be a pain though and not show me traffic that's being permitted.  Suggestions?

15 Replies 15

the level is different and hence the log not show in real-timer viewer of ASDM 
logging asdm informational <<- level is 6
access-list lc-tst-env_access_in line 26 extended permit ip object lc-tst-env-10.81.20.0 object-group LC-JC-Subnets log 7 interval 60

if change level in acl not take effect try add new ACL linbe with log 6 
access-list lc-tst-env_access_in line 25 extended permit ip object lc-tst-env-10.81.20.0 object-group LC-JC-Subnets log 6 interval 60

the log 6 in ACL make any log message level be 6 it not meaning that ACL log message of all level appear, bucuase simply the ACL have two log message and log keyword in acl is used to make log message level 1 or 2 ....or 7. 

if we put the level of log message higher than the ASDM level then it will not appear. 
sure it can appear in console/telnet/server log if it level is higher than ACL log message.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card