Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5520 SNMP temperature monitoring

sulloas16
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I would like to know if it possible to obtain ASA temperature values (chassis, CPU, etc) with SNMP.

If yes, is there a specific OID?

I'm on 8.2(5) release

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't believe this is possible with the 5520. The 55x5 series added instrumentation for querying the chassis environmental conditions.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't believe this is possible with the 5520. The 55x5 series added instrumentation for querying the chassis environmental conditions.

Hi Marvin,

Thanks for your answer, could you please share a link with official cisco documentation about this?

I'll really appreciate it!

I doublechecked - I believe it's only the 5580 and 5585 (and possibly 5545-X and 5555-X). that display it in ASDM. It doesn't specifically mention SNMP but see the reference here where the information is described as available on those platforms.

Also see here where the "show environment" command description states:

You can display operating environment information on the ASA 5545-X, 5555-X, 5580 and 5585-X. This information includes the operational status of the fans and power supplies, and temperature and status of the CPUs and chassis.

The same platforms are listed in the 9.1 command reference. However I just checked on a 5525X running 9.1 and see:

# sh inv | i Chassis

Name: "Chassis", DESCR: "ASA 5525-X with SW, 8 GE Data, 1 GE Mgmt, AC"

# sh env temp

Temperature:

-----------------------------------

Processors:

--------------------------------

Processor 1: 63.0 C - OK

Chassis:

--------------------------------

Ambient 1: 43.0 C - OK  (Chassis Back Temperature)

Ambient 2: 33.0 C - OK  (Chassis Front Temperature)

Ambient 3: 41.0 C - OK  (Chassis Back Left Temperature)

So I think it is all of the X series as I originally replied. That includes being able to see the temperatures in both ASDM and from command line.

I did check a 5550 (running 8.4) and the "show environment" command is not supported.

# show  inv | i Chassis

Name: "Chassis", DESCR: "ASA 5550 Adaptive Security Appliance"

# sh env

^

ERROR: % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Tushar Bangia
Level 1
Level 1

Hope this is helpful:

ASA5520 doesn't support the oid value of fan,temp and power since  Asa 5520 doesn't have on board sensors to support retrieving environmental values.

SNMP: Entity traps (power, fan, cpu temp) are not supported in 5520

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCtg98235/?reffering_site=dumpcr

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: